LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

my car is all f-ed up...help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry my car is all f-ed up...help!!

i took my camaro to the shop yesterday to get the clutch checked. on the way it started slipping like carzy and i could not even get over 65 every time i would accelerate fast it would slip. so when we put it up on the lift we come to find that i have a oil leak in the intake gasket? which is why the clutch is messed up im also going to need a new hormonic balancer and belt and he also thinks i may have a problem with the pin in the rear which may need to be replaced in a couple of months.

so im going to pay about 300 for the hormonic balancer

plus about 250-400 on a new clutch

and he said he would get back to me on how long and much it will take to fix the oil leak(is that a hard thing to do?intake gasket?)
Old 06-11-2006, 02:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I'll be the first one to tell you that you will not need a Harmonic Balancer, that is one of them Mechanics that should get a foot up his ***. Belt maybe.. Pinion in the Rear, no. The Oil leak in the Intake is simple, pull the Intake off, and re-silicone the back and front, that is all the Seals are.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:19 PM
Launching!

no i know this guy he is one of my friends dad's and i went under the car with him and he showed me that not only was the hormonic balancer wiggiling a little bit but the rubber piece inbetween the two pieces oe metal was deteiorating. and the belt i could clearly see was dryrotting.

how much or long do u think it would take to do the oil leak?

and you car hear a sound in the rear, thats what he thought it was....
Old 06-11-2006, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

i had a leak at my intake manifold so i pulled it this weekend. it took me a little less than 2 hours to pull it off. then about another 2 hours to thouroughly clean all the surfaces and intake then just silicone it up and put it back on. id say it could be done in 6 hours and you could really save yourself some time if u go ahead and pull the fuel rails, vacume hoses, coolant hoses off the intake and all of that other stuff before u start removing the intake bolts. and be sure the note where each bolt was at because there are 6 bolts (2 sizes) and 6 studs (5 short, 1 long) all the bolts are 9/16'' and then there are some more bolts on the back like on the egr that are 1/2'' then the normal small bolts like 7mm - 10mm.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

The Harmonic Balancer is just steel, that piece is good. Rubber and stuff like that might be dry-rotted, but the metal should all be good. Trying to save you some $$$...
Old 06-11-2006, 04:01 PM
Teching In

i had the harmonic balencer fall off my jeep it was 2 peices and the rubber between them was dryrotted i was pulling out of my friends driveway and it fell off and rolled down his driveway.you could change that yourself though it would take like 30 min.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:38 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Intake leak is very common, save your self the pain and just do it yourself. No sence in having a nice sports car if your gonna be a yuppy about it.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:01 PM
Launching!

yeah ill probably do most of it myslef maby with some help from his dad but what do u think about while im talking the intake manifold out, i paint it red????? what type of paint should i use and sould i use a clear over top?
Old 06-11-2006, 10:22 PM
11 Second Club

I was thinking about that. I have seen it done with High-temp paint, and that worked out good. I have to fix a blown Head Gasket, so that is a little more in depth.

Quick Reply: my car is all f-ed up...help!!