LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

? about valve covers and pcv system

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 11:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? about valve covers and pcv system

Hi all,
I just bought a set of hand fabbed valve covers and at this moment they have no holes in them except for the mounting bolt holes. I would like to know if i have to mill a hole into the passenger side cover to run the hose that goes to the throttle body or can i leave the covers sealed and plug the fitting sticking out from the throttle body as long as i continue to use the pcv valve that goes from the derivers side of the intake to under the throttle body? I really like the look of not having an holes in the valve covers but want to make sure I am not going to affect anything.
Thanks in advance,,,

Last edited by bigboar; 07-26-2006 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:22 PM
TECH Resident

you can leaving it as it is... but you need to get a oil cap with a filter on it.. there are some out there.. they look good, but you need to get those gases out of the crank case... im sure someone else here could shed more light and maybe even some pros and cons... get us some pics of what they look like... there arent awhole lot of custom fabbed VC out there for us.... the only ones i have seen are the ones from Canton Racing...
Old 07-26-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

You're going to want at least a breather on there IMO and an oil fill hole.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:33 PM
Teching In

actually, there is no hole for an oil filler cap at the moment either. I am thinking about something a little different for that part also.LOL As far as a pic, here you go. I have already polished mine so they look a little different now.

edit: before someone says they wont work because of the alternator, I would like to say this is going in a 69 camaro and I will be using either and S&P setup or the alt/ac setup from a vetter which is on the drivers side...
Attached Thumbnails ? about valve covers and pcv system-valve-covers.jpg  

Last edited by bigboar; 07-26-2006 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

very nice, but i highly recommend the cap with a breather... you dont want alot of pressure building up in your block...... go boom....
Old 07-26-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by harvickgm
very nice, but i highly recommend the cap with a breather... you dont want alot of pressure building up in your block...... go boom....

yeah it will find a way out. Usually through the dipstick tube, then you'll have oil all over the damn place.

Quick Reply: ? about valve covers and pcv system