LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Installing cam

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing cam

What all do i have to remove to install a new cam on my 95. I know shobox has a tute but do i really have to remove the intake and heads just to install a cam.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:20 AM
Launching!

I've never done a cam swap on an LT1 (yet) but I dont think you have to remove the heads but the intake 4 sure so u can get to the lifters. And you would have 2 remove every thing infront of the timing cover (balancer, opti, water pump, the whole fan belt system, the timing cover it self, and you may have to break the seal on the oilpan, radiator, ect.) and im sure i left out lots of things but thats a general idea. However if u wish 2 degree the cam u will need to remove the heads so u can find top dead center of the #1 cylinder and, aaaaaaaaa..... i forgot the rest of the procedure.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:02 AM
Launching!

how good are you at working on your car.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have no dought in my ability to do it i just do not want to start somethin that could end up taking me a week+ I really dont have much free time between work, and school. it is also my Daily driver so i would have to borrow a car if i could not do it in a weekend. If it is something that takes time I will probably just have 1 put in if I can find a place close to me in ohio that does good work.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:15 AM
Launching!

Well If it's your first time it will probably take you a while. Depending on what cam you get you'll need to get the right springs, probably swap lifters, new timing chain, custom PCM tuning, I reccomend a new Oil gear drive, hardened pushrods, rockers, tearing off the rad, water pump, Ac condensor, getting the seals, oil change, etc etc. I'd say for the first time maybe a week depends on your free time, and you'll want to take your time. most time consuming thing will be getting the springs taken care of, adjusting the rockers, pulling off the balancer and hub (need specialty tools) and that's the only hard parts. Everything else is straight forward. but trust me those springs will take you a while till you get the hang of it.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

shoebox's website will help you alot. yes you have to take the intake off and the cam drive in the lifter valley that is holding the cam in

Quick Reply: Installing cam