LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil leak help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak help needed.

Ever since I bought my 96 TA I have had a nasty oil leak coming somewhere from the front cover area. It is so bad that it has ruined an Opti. I have to date replaced the opti, opti seal, and the water pump shaft seal which I think is the problem. It is a lip seal and it "inverts" when seated, so I think htat this might be the problem. Anyone have any ideas?

I have ruled out the cover gasket itself as well as the manifold-block seal in the front. The crank seal appears to be ok as well. This is really putting a cramp in my style here guys....
Old 08-13-2006, 10:48 PM
Launching!

Here is what I had and found when I tore mine down to build the 383. I to had an issue with oil ta the front thought was the balancer seal replaced that still had the leak after looking a few days later. What I found was at one point I had a water pump take a **** on it. The back bearing was very bad and it caused excessive wear to the water pump drive shaft from all the movement. If I would have replaced the water pump drive shaft seal it would have never stopped the leak either. This is just what I found on mine and may not have anything to relate to yours.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Hmmm. It did have a new waterpump before I got it. Might be it. That shaft assembly should come out if I take the front cover off, no?
Old 08-13-2006, 11:05 PM
Launching!

Yes You have to take the cover off but I believe you would then also have to drop the pan a little. You will have to take the top timing gear off also to get the shaft out. It is held in with 2 bolts and has a bearing that is press fit into the block. Somebody might want to chime in if they have evry done this without the intake off. When I removed mine I drove the bearing out from the lifter valley side because the intake was already off.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Regular

Replace all the seals in the timing cover. It's a real PIA though cuz it overlaps the pan. I ended up bending my stock oil pan fixing a timing cover leak.