LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 help for a friend

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 help for a friend

He has a 95 Z and the car seems to run good one second and not the next but usually when he is driving he said even in 4th gear. He had autozone run the computer check and no sensors came up of any kind my brothers old LT1 had some optispark problems before and I was hoping that this was not it for my friend, however i did notice a bit of antifreeze leaking out of a hose above the waterpump and to the left & under the throttle body. Any Ideas
Old 08-26-2006, 12:20 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like that coolant leak is killing the opti.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also the oil pump is not making enough pressure, we replaced the opti in my brothers LT1 but the leak is so small I am trying to start small and the big because I know this friend does not have the $$$ to buy a opti and replace it
Old 08-27-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

can i get anyone elses suggestion before going with the optispark idea
Old 08-28-2006, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

I'm a noob and no expert no expert, but it sounds like an opti issue. The car I just bought had an oil leak that killed the opti. Since it's usually under a vacuum, it sucks in liquids that get on it and then it fouls the optical sensor, which is what happened to mine. According to the previous owner, it ran fine until one day it would die only on right turns, then be fine, well the oil would slosh into the otical sensor and kill it for a sec, then drip off and be fine. Than it just dies, period. Oh, and it never threw a code either. That's why we suspect the opti. It seems to be the root cause of most of the LT1 maladies....
Old 08-28-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

When you say the car isnt makeing alot of oil pressure, What exactly is his oil pressure at on a hot idle, or even cold. Usually on a pretty high mileage LT1 the cold idle upon start up is around 60 psi and once warm will end up being aroud 20-30psi. And I do agree id he does have a leak coming from the weep hole it is most likely hitting the opti.

Quick Reply: LT1 help for a friend