LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

A/C help

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C help

ok i just recharged my air conditioning system. and the fan aren't blowing the could air through the air vents. cold air comes out the bottom but not through the upper vents. well i went to circuit city and just got a radio put in. so do think they could have unpluged something? i pull out the radio and didnt see anything disconnected. so why arent my fans blowing out the cold air.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:01 PM
Launching!

did it work before? you should check the fuses
Old 08-26-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Air divert is run by vacuum. They probably caused a leak or pinched a line or 2. Check the vac running into the cab where it comes in near the PCM. if you have vac there, then pull out the control unit and see if they cut any lines.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check your vacuum lines under the hood also, look closely around the heater/ac box, there is a plastic contol valve in this area that is famous for breaking.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, as stated if you get air coming out just the floor vent and the defroster vent, that is the default position for the air to come out when there is a problem w/ the HVAC vacuum setup. I just went through this last week, I changed out the knock module in the PCM and apparently accidentally jiggled the vacuum check valve and cracked one of the stems on it.

If nothing has been done under the hood lately, and they did work on the radio then they probably screwed up a vacuum line that runs inside the dash to the a/c controls. If some work was also done in the engine bay I'd suspect the a/c check valve thing or one of the vacuum lines near it there near the PCM.

If you need the check valve I got mine at Advance Auto Parts for like $3, they have it in common help items section, probably most other auto parts stores have it as well.

Here's a little help file on the HVAC vacuum stuff from shoebox's site: http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#HVAC_vacuum

Here's a pic of the A/C check valve:
Old 08-26-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

did this mess with your cars running condition? because my car is sending me codes that it is misfiring. and i think that i got water into my air cleaner, i ran it throgh a car was. i pulled the air cleaner and it was damp, so i took air to it and dried it out.

Quick Reply: A/C help