LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Advice for forged 355 build

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Advice for forged 355 build

I got a used LT1 for cheap from a neighbor, so my plan is to have it bored to 355 and build a forged bottom end for boost. The motor is out of a Caprice cop car that was rolled over so it has iron heads. My goal is to build it to handle 20 psi of boost, although I may never get up to that level. I just don't want to regret not going stronger if and when my goals increase in the future.

I'm looking for advice on parts for the bottom end, good machine shops in the Chicago suburbs, and what I should do about the heads. The motor has iron heads, so should I just have those ported, get some aluminum LT1 heads and have those ported, or go with aftermarket AFR's, etc.? I plan to have the intake ported also. I want to do as much by myself as possible, although this will be my first rebuild. I was thinking about a compression ratio in the 8.5-9 range. I also plan to have 4 bolt splayed mains.

I plan to stick with the STS turbo for now, but may go with a blower or front mount turbo setup in the future. I'm kind of curious to see how much I can get out of the STS. I realize there are many other supporting mods I will need to do with the drivetrain and suspension, but since I have the motor already I might as well start planning now. Since the car still runs perfect I can take my time with the rebuild.

Thanks in advance for your inputs!
Old 09-28-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Callies Dragonslayer 3.480" Stroke Crankshaft, Compstar H-Beam Connecting Rods, Diamond Forged Pistons, Total Seal AP Series Rings, Clevite Main Bearings, Clevite Rod Bearings, Clevite Main Bearings, ARP Main Stud, Callies Splayed 4 Bolt Main Caps.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TFS Heads, Billet 4 Bolt Mains, Forged Bottom end with flat top pistons.

That will get you where you need to be.

Bret