LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

about engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about engine

ok im looking into getting a 94 formula firebird with a bad engine(broke rod) and my buddy has an LT1 out of a 94 interceptor caprice. what will i need to change if anything. If i get it im going to go ahead and buy a mild cam and stall converter to save some time of not tearing it all back down again. How much lift will stock spring hold and the limits of an LT1 block? any suggestions on the cam??

Thanks,
Blake
Old 12-17-2006, 08:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

GM never made an "interceptor" that is a Furd thing.
You need to make sure it is an LT1 because a 4.3l L99 was the base engine and looks identical. With the engine out the easy way to tell is look behind the drivers side head it will say 5700 or 4300, 5700 is obviously the LT1.
The shortblocks are the same, the Caprice motor got the superior vented opti that year so you probably want to keep that setup and get a cam to match that, you will want to use your existing hub and damper though.

The stock LT1 springs be they iron or aluminum heads are marginal for a stock cam you CAN NOT put more cam in and expect them to work, will not happen The cheap HOT cam springs should only be used on cams smaller than the HOT cam and they do not fit the iron heads, I just mention it because people often ask that question next.

The iron heads on the Caprice motor actually outflow the ones on your Formula, not by a huge amount only like 5%, with the pressed studs and tall valveguides try to keep the lift below about .530 or so. You could put your aluminum heads on it too like I said shortblocks are the same so that is an easy swap.

On cam recommendations something like the Crrane 210/224 or the Lingenfelter 211/219 are exellent mild cams that will gain a decent amount of power without any compromise to drivability.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i know that the engine came out of a 94 caprice and i know the person that he got it from also and he said it an LT1 but thanks for the info!

anyone else?

Quick Reply: about engine