LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Shift points higher after stall installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 05:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shift points higher after stall installed

I recently put a 3400 stall in my car. It used to shift around 5700 rpm. It now shifts around 5900 rpm.
Will this damage my valvetrain?
Am I exceeding the power curve of the stock cam?
I do have an STS turbo on the car (kicks a##).
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well turbos like exhaust, and higher RPM generally means more exhaust (but not always). Your valve terrain should be OK, I would think, to at least 6250rpm. As for exceeding the power curve, probably a little, but I wouldn't worry much about it unless you're always racing.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks. I don't always race, but the car is a weekend toy only. I have LT1Edit, so I can easily change the shift points. I want to maximize the performance, so I can play with ricers and that off brand American semi-performance car (the name escapes me ).
Old 12-21-2006, 09:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
so I can play with ricers and that off brand American semi-performance car (the name escapes me ).
SRT4?

Cobalt SS?
Old 12-21-2006, 09:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by fastenough
SRT4?

Cobalt SS?

No, they can't compete at all. I was thinking of the donkey car.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:00 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You evidently have your car shifting @ WOT by MPH instead of RPM. More slippage = higher RPM at a given MPH.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Interesting observation. In the A4 dialog box, both RPM settings and MPH settings are present. It is not readily apparent which one is being used, as there is no control to switch from one to the other. Geez, I love LT1Edit. Not.
I did notice that the section labeled Hot Shift RPM the numbers are in the 5300-5400 range, which is clearly not the case.
Does anyone know how to make LT1Edit use the RPM table instead of the MPH table?
Old 12-21-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mustang?
Old 12-21-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Oh yeah, maybe that's it. I knew it had an equine reference.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:46 AM
JUICED96Z

My car with the stock cam shifts at 6k going into second... as far as I know 6k is what MOST people don't go past and still stay safe.

I am having a custom cam ground that will shift arount 6 flat also.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:24 PM
9-Second Club

Interesting observation. In the A4 dialog box, both RPM settings and MPH settings are present. It is not readily apparent which one is being used, as there is no control to switch from one to the other. Geez, I love LT1Edit. Not.
I did notice that the section labeled Hot Shift RPM the numbers are in the 5300-5400 range, which is clearly not the case.
Does anyone know how to make LT1Edit use the RPM table instead of the MPH table?
Nothing wrong with LT1edit, just need to know what your doing. Simply set your WOT shift MPH down. Not hard to calculate how many RPM per MPH. If you want to shift it by RPM, simply set the WOT MPH low. Most stock F body cars will shift about 400 RPM higher than the WOT shift RPM table calls for. Depends on how fast the engine winds up. The faster the car the more you have to lead the shift RPM. I have to lead mine 1000 RPM. Setting mine to 6100 made it shift at 7100.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:37 PM
JUICED96Z

Not to be off subject but what side of town do you live on koolaid? I have never seen your car before or just have not noticed it.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Nothing wrong with LT1edit, just need to know what your doing...
I agree, but as a software engineer I would have put a radio button on the dialog that would let me switch between the two. That way I would not have to fool the software into using one or the other. Just my opinion.
And of course the user's manual makes no mention of how to switch between the two.
But many thanks for the info; I much prefer to use the RPM table just like I did with my HPP in the bad old days.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:55 PM
9-Second Club

I agree, but as a software engineer I would have put a radio button on the dialog that would let me switch between the two. That way I would not have to fool the software into using one or the other. Just my opinion.
And of course the user's manual makes no mention of how to switch between the two.
But many thanks for the info; I much prefer to use the RPM table just like I did with my HPP in the bad old days.

As a software engineeer, you should know a radio button would have no function if the file you are trying to edit had no binary switch to select that. You would need to take that up with GM.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Not to be off subject but what side of town do you live on koolaid? I have never seen your car before or just have not noticed it.
I live just outside Oaklandon, far northeast side of town. I don't know where fbodys hang out, so I don't get a chance to see other folk's cars either.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
As a software engineeer, you should know a radio button would have no function if the file you are trying to edit had no binary switch to select that. You would need to take that up with GM.
Well, I have to disagree. When you make changes to your file, you then save it. At that time you make the decision which setting takes precedence, according to the radio button, and write fake data to the file for the section you choose to ignore. Pretty simple implementation, really. I am a GUI programmer and that is how it is done. To the user it is transparent.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:51 PM
9-Second Club

Well, I have to disagree. When you make changes to your file, you then save it. At that time you make the decision which setting takes precedence, according to the radio button, and write fake data to the file for the section you choose to ignore. Pretty simple implementation, really. I am a GUI programmer and that is how it is done. To the user it is transparent.
So you want another radio button to do that?

Guess you would be screwed if you had to do it like many of us did it for 15 or more years, with a hex editor.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Actually, I use a hex editor in my job. I grab data from a satellite, load it into a hex editor, and decode it byte by byte, sometimes bit by bit. Doesn't mean that I like it, especially when I get off by one or two bytes. I was a DOS head for years, and it took me a long time to appreciate a GUI. But that is why GUIs are so popular, they take a simple to visualize picture and do the meat and potatoes work in the background.
Kind of what those macaholics have been crowing about for years.