LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Please help with a few quick questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 01:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Please help with a few quick questions.

Just need some answers from people that know what there talking about.
The cam will be a cc305 or a cc503.

1. Im asuming 1.6 sa pro mags will do me fine, I will not be reving past 5500rpms.

2. What valve spring combo should I go with.

3. 7.2'' hardend pushrods should be good right? stock heads and block.

4. Do I need new valve seals motor has 64k (not rough miles).

5. will my opti run of of the cam dowel pin its a 94 and I will be using stock opti and timing cover?

6. will a factory replacement timing set be ok, I will not be converting to a vented opti and 95+ timing cover.

Thanks in advance guys, Im asking all of these questions because Im 17 and this is all very new stuff to me i will be doing this project by myself so Im trying to do things right the first time.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:11 AM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by airfix

1. Im asuming 1.6 sa pro mags will do me fine, I will not be reving past 5500rpms.

5. will my opti run of of the cam dowel pin its a 94 and I will be using stock opti and timing cover?

6. will a factory replacement timing set be ok, I will not be converting to a vented opti and 95+ timing cover.

Thanks in advance guys, Im asking all of these questions because Im 17 and this is all very new stuff to me i will be doing this project by myself so Im trying to do things right the first time.

Yes on the rollers and timing chain. Seals should be ok if its not burning oil. I will let someone else post on the springs.

Why only that RPM? A TON of people rev to 6k and are fine. Before you buy any cam make sure it does not make peak power past what you will spin the engine to. Its like the GM 847, its makes peak at or near 7k. Lots of guys buy that with stock bottom ends but shift no more then like 6200 rpm (say bye to your pushrods and or stock crank past that) so its just a wast because you are not using the cams full power.

When I was 17 I was in a 86 Camaro with a 2.8 V-6 and was clueless, you know more then what I knew lol.

Remeber for a cam to work well you need headers.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 01-16-2007 at 02:28 AM.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

before doing any of this and buying all these parts make sure if thats what you want. i changed my mind on cam section and motor setup 4 times.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by airfix

1. You'll be fine up to 6300 rpm maybe even more. No point changing cams if 5500rpm is the target.
2. Beehives 26918 will be fine.
3. Yes
4. Better to do them while you're there.
5. Yes, it's always good to check the dowel length and adjust accordingly.
6. Yes it'll be ok.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:09 PM
JUICED96Z

some people are ok spinning to past 6300, seen a lot blow at 6800, some have blown at less then that. Its the luck of the draw.

There are cams out there that make sick power and peak at just below 6k rpm.