LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bad ticking noise when cold, goes away when hot. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 11:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad ticking noise when cold, goes away when hot. Any ideas?

This noise just started two days ago. It ticks like a lose Rocker arm, when cold and gets louder around 3k rpm plus. But when the motor gets around 180 deg, the noise goes away and the motor is quiet. I have a 355 with lt4 hotcam and CC pro mag 1.6 RR. I believe it is the #6 or 8 exhast flange leaking, but have not had time to check. Plus I have new paint and want to give it time to dry before leaning on the fender. I built the motor 2 1/2 years ago myself and have had no problems, other than the #8 exhast flange Keeps leaking (damn 3 piece flange).Any ideas would be great
Old 01-19-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like an exhaust leak to me. Once the metal expands a bit from heat, it seals up.

Try to pinpoint wether its coming from the valvetrain or not with an automotive stethoscope on your valve covers.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:58 AM
On The Tree

Hmmm I havent ever had an exhaust leak seal itself back up, but not saying that isnt it. It could be a lifter that isnt pumping up as fast as the other lifters, and also the LT1 is one of the fun GM motors that will have piston slap from time to time on cold starts.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:33 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a lifter that takes a few minutes to bleed up...
Old 01-20-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have the same ticking noise when I first start up, it goes quiet after about 1/2 mile. I first thought it was a lifter, so I tore all the intake off and checked them all, but couldn't find any that were bad, after putting it all back together I found the 2 rear studs on #7 exhaust were broken off and it was the exhuast manifold causing the tick.

Sara Lou
Old 01-20-2007, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

# 7 exhaust bolt head broke off on my t/a. The problem is so common, that one of the guys who I worked with at the chevy dealership didn't even pop the hood to diagnose it. He grabbed a replacement exhaust bolt from his tool box which he had from years back. Used a stud removal tool to get the bolt out, replaced it and went on my way.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WONCAMARO
# 7 exhaust bolt head broke off on my t/a. The problem is so common, that one of the guys who I worked with at the chevy dealership didn't even pop the hood to diagnose it. He grabbed a replacement exhaust bolt from his tool box which he had from years back. Used a stud removal tool to get the bolt out, replaced it and went on my way.
My 96 camaro had the exact same thing happen! I never fixed it though, the stud broke off inside the head. But once the car warmed up to operating temp it went away so I never worried about it.

Quick Reply: Bad ticking noise when cold, goes away when hot. Any ideas?