LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car gets hot?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 12:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car gets hot?

Alright, i just changed my thermostat about 2 months ago, so i don't think that is an issue. I got a hypertech 160. Anyway, if my car is stopped, it starts getting hot pretty quick. The thing i thought about was the fan, but no. The fans kick on early since i have a tune and i hear them come on and i have checked to see the fan running. If i'm constantly moving, the car seems to run pretty cool.

Today, i was driving after having the car running maybe 6-7 minutes and while i was going down the road, the temp jumped up to about 225 and i quickly started to turn off, then all of a sudden it started going down fast. The temp went back to about 180 and stayed around there. I thought that was a little strange, which makes me believe something weird is wrong...I haven't looked at how much coolant i have, maybe that could be an issue?

Any ideas?
Old 01-31-2007, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess just start with the basic things. Check your fluid levels in both the radiator and the reserve. Then check for air in the system using the bleeding screws in the lines. I think that may be your problem but who knows. If those are okay, it still could be a bad thermostat. $20 for a new 160* therm and 5 minutes for an install and you can find out for sure. If the fans are working and it isnt one of the things mentioned above, you may have a more severe problem. Someone else may jump in with some more ideas though.

Mike
Old 01-31-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like the thermostat isn't working properly if it's opening late. Bleed the system first, and if you still have the problem, get a new thermostat
Old 01-31-2007, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah take the thermostat out and heat with water in a pot up to 160. Make sure there is function at the desired temp.

Something sounds weird about it dropping down after being 225. If it is not this then double check fluid level, and make sure you bleed system screw (top one only).

After that start looking at your water pump.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:27 PM
Launching!

When the temp. jumps up high really fast that means you hit a steam in the coolant system where the sensor is. It sounds like you just need to bleed the system.

Quick Reply: Car gets hot?