LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Clicking sound, rocker arms, bent pushrod?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clicking sound, rocker arms, bent pushrod?

I've been driving my birdie around recently and noticed a loud licking sound from my right hand side valve cover...I dont know if my RRs are shot, need to be adjusted (I dont know if they're self aligning as stockers?) or if I bent something retarded like a push rod or something...just trying to get some guesstimates on what the possible symptoms might be.

No idling weirdness, however when you get on it it clicks louder...so likewise I stopped doing that
Old 02-13-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

what where u doing when it started.. id check ur pushrods to.. hell take the valve cover off put cardboard over the side of ur car and run it see whats going on... have u got on it since it started if its a valve u would notice it.. BIG noise would start alittle power loss to i imagine

recently 2 of my driver side motor mount bolts came out and the 3rd is halfway out (redoing all of them with red loctite i guess we forgot to on that side oops) anyways it started ticking like hell but the car still burned rubber through 3 gears thats how i found out it wasnt a valve lol
Old 02-13-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

Mine is doing something similar on the left bank. (drivers side) It is a very subtle tick that gets more noticable as the revs pic up. My roommate had a lifter drop, and it doesn't sound like that. I am think just something out of adjustment or he suggested a valve hanging. I am going to look into it after I get the weird idle fixed.

If you can, post up a video of what the car is doing.

-bryan
Old 02-14-2007, 05:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a ticking noise when I first start up that goes quiet after 1/2 mile, but mine is because the 2 bolts on #7 exhaust manifold have broken off and its an exhaust tick.

At idle put it in gear and hold on the brake so the engine is under load, if the ticking gets louder, its exhaust.

Sara Lou
Old 02-14-2007, 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bmccrary
Mine is doing something similar on the left bank. (drivers side) It is a very subtle tick that gets more noticable as the revs pic up. My roommate had a lifter drop, and it doesn't sound like that. I am think just something out of adjustment or he suggested a valve hanging. I am going to look into it after I get the weird idle fixed.

If you can, post up a video of what the car is doing.

-bryan
I definatley will, I'll be asking one of my buddies about a valve hanging. Once this weather has settled down here and it isnt sleeting, I'll definatley be sure to pop up a video Thanks bro.

Originally Posted by Zralou
I have a ticking noise when I first start up that goes quiet after 1/2 mile, but mine is because the 2 bolts on #7 exhaust manifold have broken off and its an exhaust tick.

At idle put it in gear and hold on the brake so the engine is under load, if the ticking gets louder, its exhaust.

Sara Lou
I could do this with my last bird but my current bird's an M6 But...If my memory serves me correctly it just gets louder when I rev it up...so maybe just maybe a manifold leak?

Originally Posted by Gun5
what where u doing when it started.. id check ur pushrods to.. hell take the valve cover off put cardboard over the side of ur car and run it see whats going on... have u got on it since it started if its a valve u would notice it.. BIG noise would start alittle power loss to i imagine

recently 2 of my driver side motor mount bolts came out and the 3rd is halfway out (redoing all of them with red loctite i guess we forgot to on that side oops) anyways it started ticking like hell but the car still burned rubber through 3 gears thats how i found out it wasnt a valve lol
I wasnt doing anything when it started (no really!) I just noticed it a couple of days ago. I'll take the valvecover off and see whats going on...would the cardboard be used for catching oil when the car is on? is that the purpose of putting cardboard on the side of the car? The noise is kinda loud when I rev the motor up...but like bryan said above I'll be posting a video soon so you all can hear. Oh the car will definatley still burn rubber through 3rd, it'll nail 4th and 5th no problem at all, so I guess that maybe rules out a valve?

Thanks all! I'll be reporting back when I have a video of it
Old 02-14-2007, 12:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you might have a broken rocker stud, i just replaced my whole top end and was running self aligning rocker arms on a 3/8's stud, and heard that the combination of those 2 can either pop off the rocker arm and break a spring or else break the stud itself. this was the case for me tho, i had chipped the top of the 1 stud and was making an obnoxious clicking sound that i didnt know what it was. just something to keep in mind....

Quick Reply: Clicking sound, rocker arms, bent pushrod?