LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

FIPK Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FIPK Cleaning

Alright, random question. While ago when I had my waterpump off, I was looking at my K&N Cone filter.. those come red, don't they? If the thing is solid black, what should you use to clean it? Shame on me for letting it get so dirty. haha, oh well.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They sell a cleaning kit at the parts store for like $10. Very worth it since it comes with degreaser and the new can of filter oil.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:45 PM
Launching!

Simple Green works pretty good for cleaning K&N filters in my experience, but you'll still need the filter oil.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jb442
Simple Green works pretty good for cleaning K&N filters in my experience, but you'll still need the filter oil.
+1 on the cleaning kits. One thing I've found over the years is that you'll use the cleaner up way before you run out of oil. Palmolive or any other dish soap works fine as a suitable substitute.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have run K&N filters for over 25 years on my motorcycles. As stated above, you can use ordinary dishwashing liquid to clean them. Be sure and clean them from the inside out, that is run the water into the center to wash the dirt out of the filter material. Be sure and let them dry thoroughly before applying the oil. You can use an air compressor if you are in a hurry, again from the inside out. You must use their oil, as mentioned above. At one time they made it in a spray can, but I have not seen that for a while. And don't over oil them, either. Your car will run rich until the oil is sucked out. If properly maintained, they will last forever.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
You can use an air compressor if you are in a hurry, again from the inside out. You must use their oil, as mentioned above. At one time they made it in a spray can, but I have not seen that for a while. And don't over oil them, either. Your car will run rich until the oil is sucked out. If properly maintained, they will last forever.
Just don't get the compressed air too close to the filter - I think they explicitely recommend not using compressed air in their cleaning instructions. +1 for not over-oiling them - Just spray oil once on each pleat, and let the oil spread into the gauze.

Quick Reply: FIPK Cleaning