LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Some Questions About My 383 Build...Piston & Main Cap Info Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 06:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Questions About My 383 Build...Piston & Main Cap Info Needed

Hey guys, I purchased the 2 bolt block that we were talking about yesterday. I'm just going to have it splayed and be done with it. Thanks for all your help with the decision. I do have some more questions though...

1) Which pistons should I use?? I plan on spraying the motor, nothing crazy, maybe a 125 or 150 shot. I've heard that SRP pistons are not that strong when it comes to nitrous, is this true?? Anybody have any opinions on which pistons I should use and were a good place to purchase them would be??

2) Which main caps should I use?? I've heard people talk about Callies and Miloden (I think thats how it's spelled..lol), are these the best to use?? I know they are pricey, but I will spend the extra change for something really strong. Also does anybody know where I can purchase these main caps for a decent price??

Thats all for now, I really appreciate all your help.

-Nick-
Old 05-23-2007, 06:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can use SRP pistons in small nitrous applications... I used SRP pistons in my 355 and went 10.40@131.... I was spraying a 150 shot on a completely built 355 and they held up fine.....

I wouldn't use any other caps than Pro-gram Engineering.... best caps made IMO.....

Other pistons options if you want to spend a bit more money are true JE forgings.... they are better than SRP's offerings (they're actually made by JE) but are a much better forging....