LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Porting a stock intake on the car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Porting a stock intake on the car?

This may be a dumb question but I was wondering if it would be possible to port the throttle body openings on a stock lt1 intake without removing it from the engine?If anyone has done it how did they do it while keeping metal shavings out of the engine.Or would it be a bad idea.The stock opening is 48mm and i was wanting to run a 58mm throttle body so i was gonna port my stock one to run a 58.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:28 PM
12 Second Club

it has been done

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/96ss/58porting.htm
Old 05-29-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You and me are in the same boat, and I don't remember if it was Schweet that recommended it or not, but someone did: Using a cylinder hone. I ran it across my buddy, and if you use cutting oil, like you should when doing any honing, then the stone won't clog from the aluminum and all is peachy. So, I plan to do JUST that. It's about as expensive as replacing gaskets + you own time, but much much easier!
Old 05-29-2007, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It has been done. I dont think I would to it, but some do.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

I sure am going to.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did it but used a dremel.

I do not know about the whole cylinder hone thing - it seems it would stick too far into the intake and get caught on the necessary rags stuffed inside. I snagged the rag a couple of times with just a dremel bit, and a hone is much bigger.

That method sounds good if the intake is off the car though.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't do it.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:42 PM
Launching!

It can be done, but its very difficult to keep the metal shaving out. I don't suggest it. I know its kind of a pain in the *** but your better off removing it to port your TB. Plus you can get in it easier and therefore do a better job.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

I seem to think some of you didn't read the page listed.

Bearing greased rags backed by oil soaked rags = a fairly impenetrable barrier. Push it back a tad, enough to get the hone just barely in. Doesn't need to go in very far. Pull the rags out, as they come out they pick up the shavings. Any left, you get with the vacuum. Could also blow it out with the air hose after. It'll probably smoke a bit on the start and a bit after, till you get it all cleaned out with carb spray but should be okie dokie.

As it might have became clear, I don't have money, I don't have the money to take the intake off. So I'm pretty cautious. Small alu shavings in the combustion chamber aren't as damaging as steel ones. Also, a hone is not making ANY big chunks, it's all powder. THAT is assuming you cut it dry and not with the oil, which is what holds all that powder. Which what? Gets picked up by the rags.

We've already had one guy here do it with success, and I plan to.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like like a pretty fool proof way of doing it using the rags and stuff.Im kinda in that same boat.Not alot of money to spend and not much time to do it.I think if done like is said it would work very well.Thanks for the info.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:58 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Formula350
I seem to think some of you didn't read the page listed.

Bearing greased rags backed by oil soaked rags = a fairly impenetrable barrier. Push it back a tad, enough to get the hone just barely in. Doesn't need to go in very far. Pull the rags out, as they come out they pick up the shavings. Any left, you get with the vacuum. Could also blow it out with the air hose after. It'll probably smoke a bit on the start and a bit after, till you get it all cleaned out with carb spray but should be okie dokie.

As it might have became clear, I don't have money, I don't have the money to take the intake off. So I'm pretty cautious. Small alu shavings in the combustion chamber aren't as damaging as steel ones. Also, a hone is not making ANY big chunks, it's all powder. THAT is assuming you cut it dry and not with the oil, which is what holds all that powder. Which what? Gets picked up by the rags.

We've already had one guy here do it with success, and I plan to.
Aside from a $20 set of gaskets, what does it cost you to pull the intake off. It's a 45 minute job in both directions lol...

$20 is good piece of mind to me....
Old 05-30-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
Aside from a $20 set of gaskets, what does it cost you to pull the intake off. It's a 45 minute job in both directions lol...

$20 is good piece of mind to me....
I do have the EGR deleted, so it's true that it is a decent job, however mine isn't leaking, and doing the job could lead it TO leak. For those with EGR, it could lead to leaking much faster if it isn't right now. If it's not broke, tweak it. So, I'm tweaking it Just not removing it and tweaking it. I also haven't had luck on my side for the last few years, so I'd rather not pull the intake. Knowing me, I'd strip a thread, brake a line, or who knows what else.