LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car Shut OFF

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 05:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car Shut OFF

hey i have a 94 LT1 Camaro A4. it's been acting up lately. when it's cold it acts normal but when it gets to normal driving rage while driving after about 30 minutes it starts acting up and i park it when it starts to do that. well today i was driving and it started sputtering and didn't want to climb past 1500 rpms. i tried to turn into a gas station but it died on me. i had to push it in. well i let it set for about 15-20 minutes and went to try to start it. after a few tries it started right back up. kinda didn't want to start but finally did. i was like WTF. so i drove it home and parked it for a whille and went with a local buddy who works at a chevy house. he scanned it and it threw out these codes. DTC 32, DTC 36, DTC 42. he was in a big rush and barely had time to scan it. i was wanting to know if any of you guys have had this problem and what have you done to make this better?
Old 06-12-2007, 06:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM OBD 1 DTCs

32 - EGR Failure : Check vacuum source and all vacuum lines; Check elec. connectors at PCM and EGR Valve; Replace EGR Valve.

36 - 24X Signal Circuit Error (3.4L) : Faulty circuit error from coil packs to module. Not sure what to tell you on that, Possibly a code for the Optispark, ??

42 - Ignition Control Circuit : Check Wiring & Connections bewteen ignition module & the PCM; Replace Ignition Module

Maybe this can help.

Sounds like a clogged EGR Valve, and a Bad Opti, or ICM.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Launching!

the opti has about 5K on it. not really sure exactly. but i know it has less than 5K.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

36 is Distributor ignition system (faulty high resolution pulse or extra low resolution pulse detected)

I have obdII and was getting a code for the low resolution pulse, it was intermittent and ended up being permanent and I had to replace the optispark and the harness that goes from the opti to the the main harness. If this code is set, and active, the car won't run.

42 is Ignition Control (IC) circuit (shorted or grounded circuit)

Get a diagram and see whats up is all I can tell you, maybe someone else knows something. Check your fuses.

And 32 is something for the egr, you probably have a blown fuse, my friends obd1 camaro we deleted the egr and as long as he had a good fuse, there were no SES lights.

BTW www.shbox.com bookmark that site for as long as you own an lt1.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:22 PM
Teching In

put a new ignition control moduel on it and then long tubes and take off all the EGR ****... worked for me...
Old 06-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Launching!

is there a way to test the ICM like at a local parts store?
Old 06-12-2007, 08:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure it can be tested. I know advance auto parts does free testing on ICMs.

as far as the EGR prob...i would just go ahead and remove everything associated with EGR and then block off all open ports. Then buy a race style header when the time comes.

It really sounds like everything in the LT1 Blues list has kicked you in the junk all at once. Clogged EGR, Bad Opti, Bad ICM....its a wonder the car ever ran at all.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Teching In

yea sounds a lot like my car. I had replaced the opti a few months back. Then that harness was bad so I replaced that and then I just blocked the EGR. However it turns out that the slot where the harness connects to the opti is bad or something because the new connector already turned blue (has only been in for 2 trips). When your car was acting up, did your tach either act up or stop working all together?? That is what is happening to mine lately. The car and tach will act up togther and its getting very frusterating.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:56 AM
Launching!

the rpms start to jump around. it starts to sputter real nasty right before it turned off today. see it started acting like this the other day. i would just park once it would do it and wait it out for a little bit and then it would start back up. oh and another thing today i was looking at the intake elbow. it's stock and it had some rips where the clamp goes to the throttle body. it looks like some air was escaping form the rips. it had quite a bit. would this play a part in it?

Quick Reply: Car Shut OFF