LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

No spark from coil! BRAND NEW GM Opti. Did Shoebox test's!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default No spark from coil! BRAND NEW GM Opti. Did Shoebox test's!

ok well this morning i went to start the car and it just cranks. Just put in a BRAND new GM opti, brand new coil, brand new plugs and wires. Ok i did the ShoeBox testing for voltage to the ICM. it get's 12 volts but when cranking it like it says i don't get ANY A/C voltage. So i pulled the harness that comes from the opti and tested the the end that plugs into the PCM harness. Not the side the goes into the opti itself. Anyway, i get NO power there at all. It can't be the opti as it was running GREAT last night but when i went to start it after sitting overnight it won't start. Grrr. this is FRUSTRATING. i've ruled out the ICM as it's getting power but no power coming from the opti Bad Opti harness maybe? don't know if it's been replaced at all. ~Cole~
P.S. Help is GREATLY appreciated as i'd like to get my car back up and running soon here. Thanks
Old 06-13-2007, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you checked for spark at the coil or plug?? If no spark, have you checked the ignition fuses? Just because the ICM is getting it's proper voltage signal doesn't necessarily mean it's putting out the proper signal.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i just pulled the opti harness and cleaned the connections and it started right up. I assume the harness is bad. I have a new one being shipped overnight so we'll see if i have the problem ever again. I checked it from the coil... and it wasn't sparking at all. Cleaned the opti harness off and it started sparking. I'm gonna try the new harness and see if that takes care of it perminantly