LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New engine ran, then died....no start

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Default New engine ran, then died....no start

Hey guys, just got done installing a fresh .030 LT1 in a guys car. Engine was built by a very reputable shop in the area and is very basic. Stock style rebuild with a Comp 305/ beehives/ lightly ported heads. I got the engine in early this week. New Opti/ wires/ plugs obviously. Ran it for about an hour and it ran alright, but not as good as I expected. First time I took it around the block it backfire twice when pulling away from a stop. I made one more trip around the block and it did a few more. Then it died and now it wont restart. It pops and bang while cranking and you can tell its trying to fire at the wrong time. I am really hoping my brand new OPTI isnt a ****ty one. I have had extremely bad luck with OPTIS on everything I have had. I took the ICM to the store and they tested it and said it was fine. Anyone think I could luck out and the coil is crap? Any other help?
Old 06-15-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you said it felt like it wasn't firing right? could you have put the drive pin in wrong on the opti? is it an early or late style opti? im pretty sure with the late style you cant do that but you might could have put it on the wrong number if it's an early one. at top dead center was the opti set on #1?
Old 06-15-2007, 09:19 AM
KTM
On The Tree

If it ran even kind of OK and progressively got worse - it isn't a wrongly positioned drive pin on the distributor...that would have resulted in a no go from the get go.

Pull plugs and see if you have an individual cylinder event, or if you have all of them not firing.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a dummy idea, but crossed plug wires maybe???
Old 06-15-2007, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess to clarify I shouldnt have said it didnt run right in the beginning....it was fine with a SLIGHT issue with smoothness as it pulled rpm. it idled and ran fine, NO crossed wires or OPTI timing issue. It is a later style Opti anyway. It was fine and then took a crap. All within 40 minutes of total run time, 30 of which was filling coolant and probably 1 mile distance traveled at most.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any codes or anything being thrown?
Old 06-16-2007, 07:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MeanYellowZ
I guess to clarify I shouldnt have said it didnt run right in the beginning....it was fine with a SLIGHT issue with smoothness as it pulled rpm. it idled and ran fine, NO crossed wires or OPTI timing issue. It is a later style Opti anyway. It was fine and then took a crap. All within 40 minutes of total run time, 30 of which was filling coolant and probably 1 mile distance traveled at most.
I had to keep putting coolant in my new motor also, I am 99% sure that, that is normal.