LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Y-pipe necessary??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 03:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y-pipe necessary??

Is it necessary to get the pacesetter y pipe when doin the header install.... OR can i just take it to an exhaust shop and have them connect it for me??
Old 06-20-2007, 03:07 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How are they going to connect it?

You have to understand the Y shape is needed to connect both collector ends to the single cat back end.

And no your stock Y will not work.

Tony.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:10 PM
10 Second Club

The exhaust shop can do anything with a welder and bender, but if you don't own the exhaust shop then i would guess it would cost well over $125 for material and labor to make a y-pipe which thats what you can find one for new.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

Many exhaust shops wont touch it. Its technically illegal in most places to move the catalytic converters from their stock location, so many places just opt not to do it. As an example of just how rediculous it can be, we had an ORY for my friend's LS1 that we needed like a 3-5" extra section welded to it for it to fit correctly (this is before he invested in a welder). We took it to at least 5 places who turned us away and simply would not touch it. Keep in mind, we were driving around in a pickup with the Y in the bed, asking them to simply weld a small peice of pipe to the end of the Y, they never even saw the car let alone had to do the install on it. For all they knew it was a non-registered race car, they never even asked just said "nope, we wont touch it". I think we finally got it done by some race shop that builds little circle track legends or something.

My suggestion: buy the Y-pipe and install it yourself. Theres going to be some form of Y-pipe anyway.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm surprised they wouldn't weld it. As long as you tell them it's for an "off road application", then they are not liable for anything. The law has just gotten too stupid is all.

Quick Reply: Y-pipe necessary??