LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Stroker and h/c/i, what will i need?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Stroker and h/c/i, what will i need?

so i wanna purchase an A4 97 ss with 140,000 miles on it. i would like to rebuild the engine and get a stroker kit for it and than heads/cam/intake. i know i would need the following:

engine rebuild kit
408ci stroker kit
h/c/i
stall converter
255lph fuel pump
???fuel injectors??? wut size???
9" or 12 bolt rear(i wanna use stickys)

anything i should add to make everything work perfectly?

i would also like to be able to shoot a 200 shot of nitrous to it. so what brand is the best for a forged stroker kit? and best prices?

i dont know THAT much about cars, so explain it to me as if you were talking to a 5 year old lol
Old 06-22-2007, 12:10 AM
12 Second Club

First, have a look through the Ultimate LT1 Newbie Guide up at the top of this forum, it'll help you out alot.

Okay, 408 stroker = bad idea. Way too much money for not that much more gain over a 383. A 383 will cost roughly $50 more than a 350 anyway. A 396+ and you're looking at QUITE a bit more..

Your best bet is to buy a forged shortblock off of someone, especially if you want to spray. VRE, Golen, Port Pros to name a few. Search around and ask people who've used them in the past.

As for heads/cam I'd recommend one of the packages by Lloyd Elliot, he's at www.eportworks.com or an AI package, I forget their web addy. If you've got some bucks go with worked AFR 210s or 227s, but be prepared to spend lots of coin. If you're goin' that route, pick up a custom cam from Cam Motion or Camshaft Innovations, I've had good experience with both in the past. Injectors, stall and gears will be determined by your camshaft, but be prepared to turn high RPMs and spend alot if you go with a big cam.

You'll want at least a Moser 12 bolt rear end ($2k minimum), maybe a ford 9", that's up to you.

The stock LT1 intake is fine, infact it's so good there aren't really any aftermarket choices unless you go with a converted SBC single plane. The only reason you'd need to change the intake is if you go with LT4 style heads.

You don't sound like you have a ton of experience with these cars, no offense intended. My best advice is to get a ride with a decent number of miles on it, do all the bolt-ons and heads/cam. Get the LE1 package from Lloyd Elliot or something and save up for a nice forged 350 or 383. The LE1 package can easily make enough power for someone experienced to kill themselves with, lol.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:58 AM
Launching!

408stroker LTx's is cary money to build seeing that most blocks are limited to 4.060 bore. Now if your talking about swaping to a LSx then 408 is cake.
If your going to keep is a auto then go 12 bolt. Driveline losses are a lot less over the 9inch.

converter PI/Vig, Yank, or Edge

The rest is all on how much you want to spend on the car.

Quick Reply: LT1 Stroker and h/c/i, what will i need?