LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Stock dual cat setup on 93?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 12:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stock dual cat setup on 93?

So, I like how my exhaust sounds, but want to get as much power out of it w/o changing it drastically (no cat), or spending much money... So can I just bolt in the dual cat setup off a newer F-Body? My current one isn't old, these receipts from a previous owner show it was installed on 5-18-06 @ 87K miles. So it only has 10K miles on it BUT again, I'm looking for all the cheap cheap cheap power I can get. I figure I could get it out of the junk yard for not so much, since my friend knows people and has accounts all over. And I know I'd have to plug the rear O2 bungs.

Anyways, the short of all that: Can the dual cat Y-Pipping bolt into a 93? With no or minimal modification? (I have access to a welder and what not)

Last edited by Formula350; 07-09-2007 at 01:09 AM.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Completely pointless if you ask me. Going from a single cat to dual will not give you a noticeable difference. Do you still have the stock single cat? I would see more out of it if you just cut off the cat and welded in a straight pipe.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ralls
Completely pointless if you ask me. Going from a single cat to dual will not give you a noticeable difference. Do you still have the stock single cat? I would see more out of it if you just cut off the cat and welded in a straight pipe.

Right, but that really changes the tone of the exhaust. I know this since many many people have said it, and told me, and even I know from experience. So I figured I'd get as much flow as I can, while keeping as much of the sound as is. I really do love how it sounds, because we have no emissions and I could ditch that cat in a heart beat. I ditched BOTH on my 91, it had the same dual-cat option.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeh I know it changes the tone but you gotta give a little. I doubt you would hate the sound of it. Have you heard a dual-dual without cats? From my experience, cats effect resignators more than mufflers. But I'm telling you, I would rather waste money taking off the cat then putting it back on cause it doesn't sound good.. rather than waste money converting to dual catted y-pipe.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

It's actually not a true dual-dual, since it's reusing the stock dual-dual tips. I truthfully don't even know if it's an SLP muffler, but I'm taking the sellers word for it.

Anyways, if you don't think it'll change the tone that much I may just do it. It's throaty now, doesn't rasp and only gurgles on high rpm deccel. I just feel that if I remove the cat that it's going to rasp :\ I suppose at the same time, will removing the cat help all that much, since it's new?

EDIT: Yea, it's official, I don't know WHO makes my muffler. I checked LMP and their pic of the Loudmouth is basically a bit resonator/glasspack style. Mines rear mount muffler style. Suppose I'll need to record it to let people take a whack at it

Last edited by Formula350; 07-09-2007 at 01:51 AM.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

No you might have the dual-dual catback. They don't sell dual-dual catbacks anymore. The only thing you will find new is a SLP loudmouth with dual-dual TIPS, which sounds like what your saying.
I'm not sure if you will see a difference without a cat. But I know it's not going to be any better than a dual cat y-pipe. Your y-pipe is the exact same thing except has one cat that is probably equally as restrictive as two small cats.

I'm actually looking for a pacesetter y-pipe right now that I can replace my custom catted one with. It's pretty cool. I can just switch back if I ever needed to.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

I was just thinking that having 2 cats would be less restrictive as having all the exhaust go through one. I didn't even think they were the smaller for the dual dual. It's just the whole 10hp more aspect that's appealing. I know on the TPI cars the dual-cat exhaust cars DID make about 10 more hp than the single ones. So I was happy to have just that

It DID have a high-flow cat on it (which I guess was hollowed out? This GM dealer write up is king of confusing). Which they removed and put this new one on, to pass emissions and what not. *shrug* Good to know that it has what it does. Shame they don't sell them anymore, it sounds superb.

Quick Reply: Stock dual cat setup on 93?