LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil Sending unit

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Sending unit

When is the sending oil sending unit on the LT1 block, is there an easy way of seeing if the unit is bad ?

I was at the track on friday and my oil pressure gang went to 0 when i was topped out at 121MPH. once i slowed down and back in normal speeds cruising home the car was phone and never happened again. so im concerned about it and want to know what to do. It did this twice then i didnt take the car down again. The car did NOT tick or lose any power at all but the guage read 0 and i cant figure out why. I checked the oil it was full, i pulled the cap off while the car was running just to check for pressure and it was deffenlty there flowing good in the vavle. So, im thinking my oil pressure gauge, sending unit or something is deffently wrong. My oil pump was just changed a month ago. so, i know it isnt that. someone help me out.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:47 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The guage is in the back of the motor, from the driverside of the engine bay you can reach back there. its a longish black sensor. Sort of a pita to replace. Depending on milage, your motor may be on its way out. Also what oil are you using, how thick is it, what is the psi at idle when hot.

I would still worry if pressure is dropping to 0 after a hard run.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your oil pump was just replaced? I bet the pick up fell off.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

where exactly is it on the lt1 block though because i am supposed to be installing one on my car but have had no luck and cant figure out where that lil **** goes...
Old 07-17-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its just below the intake manifold on the back of the block towards the driver side
Old 07-17-2007, 10:53 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by transamws6_97
its just below the intake manifold on the back of the block towards the driver side
Yep.

I think I'd be a little more worried though as I've never seen one go out.. if I was you I'd change the oil and cut open the filter.

Quick Reply: Oil Sending unit