LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Severe power loss above 4k (video included)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 09:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Severe power loss above 4k (video included)

Hey guys I'm new the site, hoping to get some advice.
The car has 130k, lt-1 w/ auto trans. I'll be changing the plugs/fuel filter this weekend. However, here's the problem.
If i floor the car in 1st, and it seems the most noticable in 1st, above 4k there is zero power, it feel like it's not getting fuel or the engine is pulling time. Ignore the low oil light, I recently checked all fluids (oil, trans, coolant) and the trans fluid looked pretty fresh. It's throwing a CEL but the local autozone doesn't have OBD1 connectors (its a 95).
Anyways, I took a short video of a 1st gear pull, I know the quality isn't that great but you can see the engine just hit a wall @ 4k and the speed barely move until I shift out @ 5k.
Let me know what you guys think my next move should be.
Thanks!
Old 07-28-2007, 10:36 AM
12 Second Club

check if your getting a healthy spark from the opti. its hard to hear if the car is missing but with that much of a power lose it sounds like a spark issue to it could also be fuel related too.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My opti gave similar problems when it started going out. Would break up and lose power right around 4k.

Not saying thats your problem, but its a possibility.

First thing you do should be getting that code pulled, but you should also check your fuel pressure, look for arcing/burnt plug wires, check the coil, and pull a couple plugs to see how they look.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:25 AM
12 Second Club

i would deffently start with the opti that is how my 4K issue started. The rotor in the opti maybe going on you. the faster you go the faster the rotor has to go obvisously, if there is firiction or an issue with the rotor that is going to be your big problem.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:34 PM
Teching In

Since I don't have a lot of downtime on the car to have it taken to a shop at the moment is there somewhere or more specifically a obd1 reader I can get for the car?
I was planning on checking the plugs/wires this weekend anyways and prolly changing the oil while I was down there anyways.

Quick Reply: Severe power loss above 4k (video included)