LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

best heads/intake setup for LT1 & Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 12:18 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best heads/intake setup for LT1 & Turbo

been doing some research, and can't really find a definate conclusion on which is better. little breakdown on my setup.

for now, it's a 383 @ 9.1:1 compression. 1 7/8" custom headers to a T76GTS, 3 1/2" down pipe to a magnaflow 3 1/2" flow through muffler. i think i've still got stock heads and intake that may have been worked over a little bit by the previous owner. at our local 1/8 mile, i ran a 6.63 @ 104 w/ a 1.48 60' last night at 5500 elevation on 20#'s of boost. my problem is my IAT's are going over 240*! i'm ordering an air/water intercooler soon to help w/ that problem, but what i've found is that i've evidently got too many cubes for this particular turbo to work efficiently. before anybody says "just get a bigger turbo", it won't fit where it's located and i like the way this turbo responds. plus, i'd have to redo almost everything to change the turbo. i'm about to start building a 355 built specifically for this turbo. my delima is, would the LT4 intake and ported LT4 heads be the best for this application, or should i do like the LS1 guys and put an elbow into a carb'd intake w/ injector bungs? i can't even find any info on the elbow idea, because i don't know if anybody even makes a setup like that for the LT1. seems to me that things would be more efficient w/ the elbow, but i've also heard that for forced induction the LT4 is fine. i know my current motor is on borrowed time since my water pump gear decided to take a crap on me and i couldn't get all the metal out. it's made over 25 1/8th mile passes, so it could be fine, but i'm going ahead w/ a built motor.

what would you guys do?
Old 07-30-2007, 12:29 AM
Teching In

A T76GTS is plenty of turbo for a 383. Regarding your IAT problem, where is your intercooler and how are you getting air to it?

-Chris
Old 07-30-2007, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the different manifold with the elbow is where its at for now.. at least until someone finds something better. all the fastest guys for the mostpart are running the carbed looking intake. im sure its not cheap. and you could probably get away with your lt4 intake and save some cash. i bet youll need it

i like what youre doing though and it sounds like youre gonna have a monster on your hands..
Old 07-30-2007, 07:49 AM
9 Second Club

i'm not saying that the 76GTS won't work, but it'll work more efficiently on a 355.... or at least that is what jose at Forcedinductions.inc said. i know i'm gonna build a new motor, i'm just not sure what intake and heads to go with. it's already a monster, but thankfully my tuner is very intelligent and has it pulling timing and dumping fuel when inlet temps rise. w/ the right intercooler, it should be running low 6's. my current intercooler location and position is definately a problem, but we've already made a pass w/ no front bumper and it only made a 10* difference. it's looking like the LT4 is going to be the route i take, unless somebody says the other is around the same price and way better.

Quick Reply: best heads/intake setup for LT1 & Turbo