LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

True Duals questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Duals questions.

So, for some reason my dad suggested that "the only way to go with headers is true duals". This shocked me because originally he said i shouldnt install headers. So needless to say this has got my mind going.

I know that TD's will had a distinct lower tone to my car. I know ill gain some HP. But, just how loud are these things? What would be the best idea for positioning a dump? i plan to raise my car back up, so i dont think that "tucking" would be a problem. I just would like some input.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

best sound i have had is with 1ch race flowmasters,2.5" X-pipe
Old 11-02-2007, 07:23 AM
11 Second Club

Dad was just trying to save you a few bucks cuz Dad damn well knows headers are the way to go, true duals are incredible sounding, vid in my sig for an example, granted this cam is stupid big and SR but stil even bone stock LT1s I've heard with true duals are awesome sounding, you won't want want a cutout although you can, you'll love the sound as-is. I personally like the DynoMax Race Mufflers with a pre-mufflers x-pipe dumped before the axle.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think he used to have them on the 69 we used to have... til mom made us sell it. Well i really am going to think about it. Man that would be BAD A.... i wanna raise my car back up because i dont wanna scrape. Is it possible to find a premade set for pacesetters? Or are all TDs strictly custom fab to the car? I'll definately go with an X pipe style, where would you suggest dumping them for a DD?
Old 11-02-2007, 05:41 PM
11 Second Club

i have a light bolt on LT1 with true duals dumped with pacesetter longtubes... sounds great.. its loud.. but bearable until u smash it i had mine dump b4 the rear axle..then had a exhaust shop fab up some turn outs... i wish i could get pics but i have none
Old 11-02-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You don't NEED duals. You can make just as much power with a y-pipe and catback since the Mufflex comes in "big" and "huge" sizes. But, I'll never go back to that setup now that I have these duals. Ground clearance is excellent...The header collectors are the only part I've ever scraped(once or twice). Sound is awesome, and I'm on stock internals. I can't wait to get a cam.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rowdy94
You don't NEED duals. You can make just as much power with a y-pipe and catback since the Mufflex comes in "big" and "huge" sizes. But, I'll never go back to that setup now that I have these duals. Ground clearance is excellent...The header collectors are the only part I've ever scraped(once or twice). Sound is awesome, and I'm on stock internals. I can't wait to get a cam.
same...

its true you dont NEED TD's but since ur doing the exhuast neways whynot?
Old 11-02-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tons of variables but, overall its going to be loud enough to get you noticed. Usually thats great as long as your not a habitual speeder. If you run dumps, I think it helps (slightly) to angle them so that they are NOT pointing straight down at the ground under the car... Angle them to the sides a little. Ummmm... I dont know the HP/TQ differences as compared to ORY and catback. As for your clearances, that will depend on your size piping and if your lowered. I originally put my 3" x-pipe setup on the SS when it still was at its stock SS height (slightly lowered). I had to be real careful on speed bumps and driveways but it wasn't anything worse than any other lowered vehicle goes through. There's not to much room to "tuck" a setup but, if you were to try, your best bet would be a custom fab job. My setup was a kit for the LS1 from texas speed and performance. Just changed/made one small pipe piece to put it on the LT1.

Quick Reply: True Duals questions.