LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Running rich but PCM says lean.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 08:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Running rich but PCM says lean.

Hey guys, my car has been running extremely rich the past few weeks. I got it finished earlier this summer, broke it in, and drove it 700 miles to Ocean City MD in the same day. It was running good except every once in a while it wouldn't idle when you came to a complete stop. Say you were rolling to a stop, it would be idling fine but as soon as you stopped it would just die. You would start it and it would be fine till mayby 15 minutes of cruising and do it again. If you caught it dieing and kept it alive and flicked the key off then back on (without turning the motor off) it would start idleing like a champ.

Eventualy that stopped happening on its own and it just started having a rough idle sometimes and a quick key off then back on would solve it. Then my friend scanned my car and we found a o2 was bad and my MAP was bad. We replaced them. Car still acted the same (bad idle sometimes).

I figured it was because my IAC counts were probally high and my tps needed adjusted. I was going to fix that when I got a cable and datamaster.

Then it started throwing a little bit of black smoke one day, this was after the o2 and map replacement. It progressively got worse untill the smoke was bad. REALLY BAD. Just cruising you could see a hint of black smoke, but at WOT lookout, it poured black smoke! Then it started getting some blue smoke at WOT with the black smoke which I'd vote it from some reall bad wash down.

Fast forward to a few days ago. My car is on jackstands with no trany when I received my cable so I could only datalog it at an idle basicaly. So I hooked it up to datamaster. (which I don't have the log on this computer.) Here's what I observed.

Fuel trim cell- Stayed in 16 from open to closed loop .
Map- stayed around 58kps at idle the whole time.
RPM- managed to stay at around 1000 (which is the target idle)
IAC-Pegged at 160 on cold start. Around 80 at operating temp.
TPS- 0.84v
AFGS ~17 at cold start ~12 once at operating temp
Left o2- consistently switched between ~.700-.160MV
Right o2 consistently switched between ~.650-.180Mv
Inj. duty- Left bank ~3.0, right bank ~2.0 at operating temp
BPW- Left bank ~3.5, right bank ~2.5
S term counts- Varried between ~127-135 with the left bank tending to be about 5 higher most the time.
L term couns- Left bank stayed at 160 and the right at 127. Once or twice they changed by one for a second then back to 160 or 127

Should it have stayed in fuel trim 16 the whole time? Whys me left bank ltfs pegged at 160.

After I shut the car down I pulled the motor. The plugs were dark as can be. I did compression test and the numbers came back between 135 to 160 for all the cylinders. Not so good for ~12.5:1 compression. My battery died before I could squirt oil in the cylinders. I'll try that and report back. I also found that the headers were leaking, the 2 middle cylinders on each bank has a lot of black exhaust around the exhaust ports.

I had a high res opti code when i first started it t I cleared it and it did not come back. I think it's from when i tried to start the car without the opti hooked up by accident.

All my specs are in my sig, It's a new coil, opti was new when the car hit the road. All the wires are good, and the plugs were recently changed. Checked for vaccum leaks and nothing. Fuel pressure is at stock levels. It's a pcmforless mailorder tune.

So does anyone have any ideas? Is it going to be as simple as getting my IAC counts, TPS voltage, and exhaust leaks fixed or is it going to be way more?
Old 11-27-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should move this to https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning-7/

i always thought too that the cyl pressure should vary no more than 15psi per cyl?

Quick Reply: Running rich but PCM says lean.