LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Alittle Help Narrowing Down A Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 09:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alittle Help Narrowing Down A Problem

Alright fellas, my car is making a "squeel" upon accel. The faster the motor spins the louder it gets. I thought serp. belt and tensioner. Replaced the both of them and it still does it. Pulled the belt off and let the car run, and it also still done it with the crank pulley being the only one turning. I cant narrow down to weather its comming from the front of the motor or the top. Any ideas what it could be? Obviously its something is rotates or spins and goes with engine speed. Didnt notice a loss in power. Maybe bearings in the water pump? or something inside the Opti?
Old 12-20-2007, 11:28 PM
TECH Regular

did you check the altenator pulley? ive got one alternator in my shop that needs rebuilding because it squeals like you describe.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Could be either the waterpump or the opti, I had one opti that made a lot of noise but still functioned. When I took it off the bearing was spinning in the housing and the retainer was broken completely off.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:37 PM
12 Second Club

I had pulled the belt off, and started the car, so the only pulley turning at the time was the crank pulley. Its something other than a pulley or anything driven by the serp. belt. Im guess bearings either in the waterpump or something to do with the opti. Just thought id throw it up here to see if any of you guys could think of something else.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:38 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks Low N Slow
Old 12-21-2007, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

I gotta WP (painted Black of course) at the house if you need it.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:05 PM
12 Second Club

John, im thinkin of going electric. Then im also thinking about buyin the MSD opti, coil, and 6al box, and a new set of valve springs. Hopefully that fixes ALL issues with the car. My dyno graph has more waves than the ocean and feels like its missing up top. Ive never dealt with valve float so im not quite sure on if it feels like hesitation when they are floating or if im just blowing out the spark in the upper RPM's. The problem with the graph is, its wavy all the way through the band and you dont "feel" it until the upper RPM's. Let me know what ya think.