LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Head gasket sets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 12:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head gasket sets?

I need to know what all gaskets and replacment parts I need to fix a head gasket leak on both sides for a 97 LT1. I know of head gaskets, Intake man gaskets, TB gasket, exh man gaskets....anything else I am missing? any other seals or bolts or any crap like that I gotta change???
Old 12-27-2007, 12:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Factory head bolts are torque-to-yield. In other words "one use only". You'll need to replace them, otherwise you will no longer get accurate torque specs, and the bolts will be weakened.

You listed the primary seals/gaskets required. The local autoparts stores usually carry an intake manifold gasket set, which includes a bunch of what you need (intake, TB, EGR pipe iirc, etc). You'll probably want to replace the 4 rubber washers for the steam pipes on the back of the cylinder heads, as they usually tear up -- pretty sure these will need to be ordered from GM.

While you're in there, you might consider some other things. You have the option of installing thinner compressed thickness head gaskets, which will net you some increased compression. You might also consider having some portwork done at this time.

Anyway, just tossing out some thoughts...
Old 12-27-2007, 12:12 PM
12 Second Club

yeah, here are my "official" plans! since I have her all apart anyways, I am gonna have my heads ported and polished, an dhave the outsides polished as well for dress up. I am gonna have my intake manifold ported to increase my airflow as well. I am gonna powdercoat my intake manifold Gloss Black with the runners on the top polished, I am going to put on a set of Pacesetter LT headers which are ceramic coated a kindof flat black, and I am adding a set of valve covers which will be powdercoated Gloss Black. I'm also gonna have my heads pressure tested to make sure there are no cracks.