LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

what can i get out of this lt1?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 04:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what can i get out of this lt1?

sorry for the newb questions i dont really get on this board except for the classifieds but i have been looking for an lt1 to put in my 67 rs, i think i have found the t56 transmission and now i have a couple lines on a motor. the camaro has a shortened ford 9 inch with a 4 link setup and adjustable coil overs. the car is tubbed and i am putting the finishing touches on the frame and rear end setup. i now am trying to get the corect motor and transmission i want to run in the car in there and running so i can get the thing on the road. i am kind of wanting to go with the lt1 because it is a bolt it, they perform well for the price, it is a semi-modern engine with lots of capabilities and pretty good gas mileage as well as street manners being fuel injected. we have a 95 impala ss so i am not a stranger to the lt1 i just have not dealt with it too much. the motor will be used but i have a little over thousand dollars to throw at it just in performance parts. i already have a nitrous kit for it but i would like some help on the best parts to get to make this think perform its best. i would like to stay away from head swaps because they are out of my price range for now, i am sure i will pick up a good set on down the road but for now i would like to try a nice cam and intake swap. what would you guys reccomend? i have heard great things about the cc306 and also great things about the lt4 intake. so you guys give me some suggestions on what i can do to the motor to get it to perform at its best. this car will not be a daily driver but it will be a fun weekend car so i would like to keep good street manners and gas mileage, but it will also be a track car and i would hope to run some low 12's high 11's n/a note this will be in a 3200 lb or less car that WILL hook. so i am hoping i can get into that range and not be ver radical at all, like i said it will be used more as a street car than track purposes which is what the nitrous is for, but i would like to get alot out of it with some pretty minor bolt ons. i have a friend in town that is running low thirteens with a stock lt1 a converter and 3.73's and slicks. so i think i can pull off some decent times with some mild mods. what do you guys think? suggestions? i can post up some pics of the car as well if anyone is interested.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you need to replace the intake....my LT1 will run low 12s and I have the stock TB and intake.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:10 AM
Teching In

I put an LT1 ZF-6 combo in my 80' Vette. I ran very nicely until i bought a Trailblazer SS that was almost as fast as the vette. SOOO, I just put a CC503 cam, and ported the heads myself. Think about doing a DIY head job as you can save alot of money that way. this was my second set of LT1 heads to port.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Half a dozen of one 6 of another.

The cc 306 is too much cam for stock heads. 1k isn't even going to get you started.......sorry. About the only thing you can accomplish for 1 k and have any signs of performance is the Hotcam kit........when considering a budget it is the cheapest, but when considering horsepower it is near the bottom. Still with that kit and good traction I have seen snake eyes run (3600 stall). You will be in the solid 12's with that kit, snake eyes with spray.

You left this a wide open question to answer and it is very hard because you limited us to details. I replied based on budget. Are you transferring and keeping it EFI or are you going carbed?

On the other end of the spectrum there is no replacement for displacement. Machine work alone will set you back to the grand you have saved. Then another 1500-2500 for a quality forged rotating assembly, then another 1500-2300 for quality heads and cam/ Then you need new lifters, hardened pushrods, roller rockers type NSA, guideplates, injectors, timing chain, 58mm tb, cai, tune and that is assuming you purchased a fully built head. All said and done I have a few pennies shy of 10 grand into my engine alone.

Quick Reply: what can i get out of this lt1?