LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What Is Open Loop

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 01:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What Is Open Loop

WHAT IS MEANT WHEN SOMEONE SAYS IS THE CAR RUNNING ON OPEN LOOP? i DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT IS CAN SOEONE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME PLEASE. CAUSE I THINK THEY DID THIS TO MY CAR!
Old 01-05-2008, 02:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Our factory computers run in both Open Loop and Closed Loop:

1) When you first start the car, you're in open loop, and the PCM is NOT using oxygen sensor readings to adjust fueling. It's relying solely on the other sensors (MAF, MAP, rpm, etc.) to calculate how much fuel to inject into the engine, without knowing how good of a job its doing.

2) As I understand it, only after a timer has 'timed out' and the engine is above a certain temperature will the PCM then switch into closed loop mode. This is when it starts accepting oxygen sensor readings and adjusting the fuel trim accordingly.

If your car is running in open loop permanently, then your oxygen sensors are never used, and the PCM is not making corrections to the fuel trim. Not sure what year your vehicle is, but if you have datalogging software such as Datamaster, you can verify 'if' and 'when' the PCM is switching into closed loop mode.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

good Q and good answer. ive wondered this as well
Old 01-05-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your answer is correct, but incomplete. You also run in Open Loop when you are at WOT after the engine warms up. That is why it is important to tune in both Closed Loop and in Open Loop modes. You use a wideband to tune the AFR in Open Loop mode, which is what you use a dyno for.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Junkie

my car runs worse when it starts reading from the o2's... perhaps it's reversed? lol.. i think its because the o2 sensor wire is crimped together with a plastic connector (o2 sensor to harness, because harness end plug ripped off).. some ppl told me crimping the o2 wires can cause it to read wrong, so soldering it would solve this problem.. is that correct?
Old 01-06-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
Your answer is correct, but incomplete. You also run in Open Loop when you are at WOT after the engine warms up. That is why it is important to tune in both Closed Loop and in Open Loop modes. You use a wideband to tune the AFR in Open Loop mode, which is what you use a dyno for.
Your answer is correct, but incomplete.

Actually at WOT you use power enrichment (PE) mode. This is basically an effective open loop mode in the sense that it does not use the O2 sensors, but it is not the same mode as when the car is cold and it is controlled differently.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid

There are two seperate tables for this. Open Loop, and PE tables. PE tables are used for WOT application.

Opps Edit.. Didn't see Ibird's reply.

Quick Reply: What Is Open Loop