LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Front Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Front Gaskets

So my car is starting to leak worse and worse. I just drove an hour and my car was parked for 2 hours and i noticed 4 spots where oil has been dripping on my driveway. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the front of my motor but I'll find out tonight. So my question is how hard is it to replace these gaskets? My intake gasket was replaced and doesnt leak and my valve cover gaskets are fine so the only other two are the rear main seal and the timing chain cover gasket correct?
Old 01-09-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump... Also I noticed there was oil hanging on the bottom of my AIR tube before I cut it off, on the bottom of my opti, and on some of my power steering lines below the opti
Old 01-10-2008, 05:33 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed mine in about 3 hours taking my time. It is like changing a opti but you need to lower the oil pan(or drop it). If I were to do it again i would just have dropped the oil pan instead of lowering it. That way you dont have to worry about it leaking later. good luck

Last edited by the_hunted; 01-10-2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:24 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have the timing chain cover seal, the oil pan gasket and you have the seals for the WP and Crank the Oil pan is a one peice but when you drop it, you need to redo it, to do it right.

I dropped mine when we did the cam but it never was right. Being a tight spot never help either, It needs to be clean and dry and tight bolts to help ensure the seal.

Also the timing chain cover can be taken off before the pan but when it goes back on the pan needs to be dropped and great care is needed for the timing chain seals.

Quick Reply: Front Gaskets