LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Guide To swap motors

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Guide To swap motors

Does anyone know where to find the guide to pull the motor out of the top. I have seen multiple ones to remove it from the bottom and I do not have a way to do that.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Hey man. You dont need a manual. I pulled mine out the top. The easiest way i could find was taking the whole top end off the engine and EVERYTHING out of the front. Radiator, condensor......etc. Make sure you take the balancer off to. When you get the engine lifted up high enough take your motor mounts out of the car.....it'll give you a lot more room to twist the engine sideways and give you oil pan clearance. It really wasnt that hard though. I ran 4 head bots in the block, one in each corner with a chain crossed hooked on it. Hook it more towards the font so the back drops just a touch. You shouldnt have any problems doing this. I did my wifes 96ss this way and also my 98z just this past weekend. Hope this helps ya .....good luck

Last edited by SlowZ28/SS; 01-13-2008 at 10:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-13-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ive got a leveling bar so I can adjust it when needed. I was just wondering if there were any special tricks since the engine is half way under the dash.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

its easier to not use that leveling bar. Just use a chain that is connected to the four center most bolts. Its best to have a buddy with you. I have pulled out JUST the motor and the motor + tranny using this method. Yesterday i just dropped in my new longblock in, i even had the pully and headers + oil cooler on when i did this, was cake.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

So its definatly going out the top. How long did it take you guys to do it?

Quick Reply: Guide To swap motors