LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Missfire at idle only....Opti??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 03:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Missfire at idle only....Opti??

Hey guys, still trying to figure out whats up with my car. I hooked up a scanner to it and it showed missfire on #6 and #3 cylinders only at idle. The car has stock opti and plug wires (60k miles). Car runs great untill you come to a stop and it starts missfiring at idle and will stall while the cars in drive, no missfires at WOT. Plug wires show no sign of being burnt. Could it be the dreaded opti?? Help guys, this is getting pretty damn fustrating.

Thanks
Old 04-08-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by QWIKWS6
Hey guys, still trying to figure out whats up with my car. I hooked up a scanner to it and it showed missfire on #6 and #3 cylinders only at idle. The car has stock opti and plug wires (60k miles). Car runs great untill you come to a stop and it starts missfiring at idle and will stall while the cars in drive, no missfires at WOT. Plug wires show no sign of being burnt. Could it be the dreaded opti?? Help guys, this is getting pretty damn fustrating.

Thanks
I would pull the plugs and take a look. The opti gets a bad rap but the post '94 opti's are pretty reliable. I replaced mine only to find out that wasn't the problem. Take a look underneath at night and see if you see any arcing from the wires. Look at your plugs and measure your wires and rule that out before you take your water pump out to check out your opti. You might also want to check out your throttle position sensor and MAF sensor.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Teching In

After you check the plug wires for arcing, check your fuel pressure at idle and then when you drive.