LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

car ignition problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car ignition problems?

I don't have a book for this car but these codes come up 36 high resolution pulse ckt 46 pass key, 42ignition ctrl grounded ckt,ignition ctrl open ckt can some body tell me what all this means how screwed am I? and the car is a 94z28 with an automatic
Old 04-12-2008, 06:50 PM
TECH Veteran

code 36 is an optispark code (distributor) the optical sensor isnt reading the pickup wheel's 360 outer slots. it may be possible there is blockage, or just a tired optical sensor.

code 46 is for your VATS anti theft system, you may need a new key, or lock cylinder cleaning/replacement or the VATS system has a problem.

code 42 you would need to look at all of the harness wires/grounds for the ignition system.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Teching In

the car is really unresponsive I cant even rev car at all sputters and backfires would this the opti spark only or partially some of the other codes? do i need to replace whole dist or can I just replace this sensor?
Old 04-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Teching In

there was also another code I forgot 41 ignition ctrl open ckt?
Old 04-12-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by luvnchevy
the car is really unresponsive I cant even rev car at all sputters and backfires would this the opti spark only or partially some of the other codes? do i need to replace whole dist or can I just replace this sensor?
yes definitely if there is already an optispark fault code being thrown. you are lucky that it threw a code because sometimes they dont and itll be a harder guessing game to figure out whats going on.

i had the low resolution code being thrown due to alot of rust inside of the opti, and the optical sensor wasnt picking up the pickup wheels 8 larger slits so it didnt know when to fire the injectors or kick on the fuel pump. your high resolution is to fire the rotor so it knows where the crankshaft is, thats why you arent getting a good response, it isnt firing right.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Regular

just replace the opti and go from there

Quick Reply: car ignition problems?