LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine rebuild

hey guys quick question, how much would it cost to do a stock rebuild on my 94 lt1, thinking about sending it to a shop cause i don't have the time to do it and i have never worked on an lt1 before. Anyone ever done this? thanks
Old 04-28-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

Are you pulling the motor yourself and sending it off, or are you just dropping it off at a shop and having them do it?? If you are having the shop do everything, plan to spend plenty of money. Also, what exactly are you trying to do and why do you want to rebuild it? Just putting in new gaskets, bearings and piston rings or are you going with aftermarket parts? A lot of things need to be considered, such as your goals with the car.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well he did say stock rebuild, so I assume he doesn't have any huge goals, but who knows.

For a stock rebuild of the short block, probably $600-900. I'd toss in a balance job with it, you'll be happy you did. Even if not needed, might as well punch it out .030 or .040 over, and a zero deck wouldn't hurt either to pick up a few more ponies. If you do have to, or do because you want to, punch it out more, you'll want to get a tune so the computer knows that you did.

Also, if you're doing a full motor rebuild, as in new water pump and opti and some of the sensors, then you can tack on about another $600~

If you are also wanting to have head work done, I'd look into at least a polish job, and at most a port job (which will require the intake to be ported too), and might as well throw in some bigger valves (I don't remember what fit well, 2.00/1.58 I think they are). How much that'll be, don't know, probably $800 more. I'd probably send the heads to Ai or LE though.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:41 AM
TECH Resident

thanks for all your responses, im just looking to do a stock rebuild but i have a friends dad who owns a shop and i talked to them this morning and they said they don't rebuild the just get a new motor for about the same price as the would rebuild it for. They are getting me a quote today so we will see how much its gonna be. I am just looking to do bolt ons and hopefully get into high 12's soon. I have been thinking about doing a 6 speed swap as well. Im only doing the rebuild because im getting a personal loan for about 5 or 6 grand and i figure this would be a good idea to do since im gonna have the money. I plan on keeping the car for a while now since i had no luck selling it this month. Any more info that you have would be great such as bolt ons to buy and suspension also. Thanks everyone
Old 04-29-2008, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'd goto a shop then that'll rebuilt your current motor, so you can get some extra things done to it, instead of running a fully stock motor
Old 04-29-2008, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

While you are in there, I would at least put in a few better parts. Forged pistons are a great idea no matter what you do. I would also do the zero decking and all that mentioned above. Another thing you can do, is put the impala head gaskets on it as they are worth a few ponies (thinner) that are cheap or nearly free when buying the new gaskets.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, I asked some people about the impala gasket, and they said it was actually good for around .5 to the compression ratio. So a stock motor would be around 10.9-11.0. After a zero deck it might be around 11.3~

I personally like a balanced motor, and wish I had the time and money to do mine. I just remember my friend's 340 in his Dodge Dart that was balanced, thing reved up and down so quick lol

Quick Reply: engine rebuild