LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Stumble at mid-throttle or higher, idle RPM erratic

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stumble at mid-throttle or higher, idle RPM erratic

I JUST got the car back together. All this was for an opti change originally. I just changed the cap/rotor. Now the car runs worse than before. I used a Jeg's cap/rotor. I don't want to immediately say that the cap/rotor is bad out of box...

I had the same symptoms of opti problems in the past - runs fine when cold then hesitates a bit under throttle when the engine is heat soaked.

I'm wondering if I may have crossed a couple plug wires to the cap. If I did do that, wouldn't I get a code? I let it idle for a while but no codes showed up. When I go to take it out of gear and coast to a stop the engine drops down to ~700 rpm then picks back up again.

When the engine is idling, the idle RPM is up and down. It will idle ok for a few seconds, then drop and rise.

Maybe it's hard to tell with a cam in the car, but I would think that if I got 2 wires crossed it would be fairly noticable?

I'll check the wires tomorrow after work, but if that ain't it, the only thing I messed with was the opti. I might have to just order a complete OEM unit and try again...