LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

HELP lt1 keeps poppin fuses

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 01:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP lt1 keeps poppin fuses

ok guys i dont know if this is even in the right section or not but anyways my t/a keeps poppin the 10 amp ignition fuse in the fuse block under the hood. now the only things ive done was install a new starter and coil last weekend and ever since they've been installed and i try to start it it pops this fuse. any ideas as to what it could be would br greatly appreciated this is all i can tell you information wise as these were the only 2 things ive done this past weekend and it ran before the 2 so... an the reasoning behind the coil change is becasue my old one was dead and a terminal broke off on the starter is the reason it was changed so sorry guys for it being so long but hopefully you guys can give me some ideas to look
thanks jason
Old 05-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

I wouldn't think a starter would do that, but... maybe there is something wrong with the new starter internally causing a short condition and it is drawing too much current. The other thing to check is to make sure the wire or terminals are not touching something they are not suppose to. A short in the 12v wire would probably drain your battery.

Just focus on things that would draw too much current through the circuit. Typically it's some type of short condition in the wiring or component.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Look up what all is on that circuit, it could be something like a O2 sensor or something thats gone bad.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:58 AM
TECH Junkie

A wire is grounding out. Is the fuel pump priming? I can almost guarentee it's a fuel pump wire grounding out (same thing happened to me.. everytime id go to put the key in accessory, the ignition fuse in the dash fuse box would blow.. sometimes it would allow me to drive a bit but then would blow in the middle of the highway and i couldnt get it started.. been through 20 fuses before i found the problem lol).. drop the tank and check the wirig for the fuel pump. thank me later (=
Old 05-05-2008, 12:01 AM
12 Second Club

well we pulled the starter this weekend and found out that the case that goes over the gear of the starter was blown apart so i dunno if thats becasue the starter is messed up or becasue the tranny is squishing a wire loom inbetween the block and the bellhousing and the tranny is off center??? i dont know whats goin on with this car all i know is that the starter is removed and its still poppin fuses. when i bypass the ignition fuse with a straight piece of wire it'll fire right up with no problems but then i have to pull the wire casue it gets red hot so... i dunno im thinkin im just gonna pull the tranny and see if there is any wire that could have been caught inbetween the block and the bellhousing unless you guys have any other ideas on what it could be im sorry again for this being so long its just that im frustrated lol thanks guys
jason