LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Found small chunks and shavings on drain plug magnet. LT1 screwed??

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 12:17 AM
Self-Admitted Scammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Found small chunks and shavings on drain plug magnet. LT1 screwed??

Found small chunks and shavings on drain plug magnet. LT1 screwed??-0507081719.jpg

I found this on my drain plug today...i am pissed. What you see there is a small chunk..it was solid. So i guess this means the motor is about to go right? I'm not sure if that was on the drain plug before. I usually don't even look at the plug, but im pretty sure i would notice that.

Otherwise the engine sounds fine and gets the same oil pressure it always has gotten, 25psi and up to 45psi WOT. The highest I have revved it is 6200 rpm. Heads and cam have been on the car for 35k miles, so nothing has been changed internally for a long time.

Also, I just seafoamed the engine thru the intake..could this have stirred up anything that might have been stuck? I am now shifting at 2000 rpm hoping to save the bearings. lol. I cut open the oil filter and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, maybe a slight shaving or two, but just normal dirt looked like to me...

guess i should be putting away a grand a week then huh??
Old 05-09-2008, 10:39 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uhhhh it cant be good but if the engine is still runnin fine you can't do much but keep an eye on it and do what you've been doing...

A good purchase at this point would also be a filter magnet that bolts to the side so you can keep cutting your oil filters open and inspecting them.... a filter mag willl pick up way more metal than the drain plug...
Old 05-09-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

if the shavings are aluminum it could be the timing chain slop hitting the cover. i have seen this alot on lt1's. if its pasty speckles in oil then you have some bearing wear. all you can do is drive it till it breaks or open t up for a looksy...i just wait till mine blow or start sounding bad before any major worries.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:17 AM
Banned

yea put another mag on it...just watch it and if something goes bad catch it early...nothing being changed in a long time might not be a big deal...but might be bearings falling apart finally
Old 05-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 For:
Originally Posted by OutlawZ
A good purchase at this point would also be a filter magnet that bolts to the side so you can keep cutting your oil filters open and inspecting them.... a filter mag willl pick up way more metal than the drain plug...
I've had a FilterMag on my car(s) for a long time now... Before that I just had a magnetic drain plug in the pan. With the FilterMag installed, there is barely anything noticable on the drain plug - Looks clean every time. I think they're cheap insurance for engine longevity.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put a bottle of Lucas in it and run her till she dies. I wasn't really a believer in that stuff, but check out this lil story here. My mom used to DD my '95 TA vert. The oil pressure sending unit worked its way part way loose and it had a very bad oil leak obviously. Well not only did it have low pressure because of this, but it also was losing oil fast. She ran the thing 3.5 quarts low 3 times. I was in PA when all this happened, she was in NC with the car. Otherwise I wouldn't even have this story to tell you because I would of taken care of it.

I went down to NC to fix the car and bring it back to PA with me. Fixed the problem, no more leak. The trip is 540-560 miles. By the time I got to Wytheville, VA the thing had a slight tick. By the time I got home it turned into a slight knock. I changed the oil, used not one, but two bottles of Lucas with three quarts of oil. This somewhat quieted the knock. I am still driving the car and it has barely changed, if any at all. At this point I have put 12-1300 miles on it since it started knocking. I don't believe it would be holding together this long with just motor oil.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Banned

my truck has no oil pressure its a 99 s10 4 clylinder...i put 4 qts of 20w50 and one qt gear lube 90w180 and since then it got quieter and ive been driving it about 3000 miles...i dont know how long its knocked before it got it
Old 05-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Self-Admitted Scammer

Hmm...good ideas. thanks. I was running 5W-30 mobil 1 though..could that have been the problem? lol. i thought it was 10w-30 but i didnt notice til about 4k later when i looked at the empty bottles in my trunk. Woops.

Also to make matters worse im gonna be spending 2-3k fixing the front damage on the car. great stuff.

Quick Reply: Found small chunks and shavings on drain plug magnet. LT1 screwed??