LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

why does this happen to me!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default why does this happen to me!!

Well from reading some threads on here it appeared my recent coolant disappearing act was the result of a bad radiator cap. I replaced the cap today and went to bleed it from the little screw near the thermostat housing. The friggin screw fell off and went down behind the water pump! I have a long flexible magnet but guess what that little screw isnt able to get picked up! i tried the small housing it fits in, same thing, no magnetic anything. I know I can get the screw from any lt car in a junkyard, but I'm scared that a loose screw behind my wp housing would lead to disastrous things! Can anyone confirm this fear?
Old 05-15-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bleeder screws are unfortunately made of brass, and brass is not magnetic. The housing I believe is aluminum, which is also not magnetic.

In all honesty, I don't think a screw down there could do much harm -- it's probably just sitting in a corner on top of the optispark, away from any moving/rotating parts. Still, it would probably annoy me to the point I would tear off the waterpump to get at it.

For future reference, you don't have to physically remove the screw to bleed the system -- I believe a half-turn or full turn will do it.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

I thought I only gave it a halfturn of the ratchet. Oh well I told the wife it was time to remove the waterpump, so that kinda gave me the OK for a cam and LT headers
Old 05-15-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 87turbo2
Oh well I told the wife it was time to remove the waterpump, so that kinda gave me the OK for a cam and LT headers
i like the way you think turbo!
Old 05-15-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 87turbo2
I thought I only gave it a halfturn of the ratchet. Oh well I told the wife it was time to remove the waterpump, so that kinda gave me the OK for a cam and LT headers
You trixie devil

While everything is out, do at least this: Take the weep hole on the water pump, tap it out and put in a threaded barb fitting, then run some rubber hose down to the ground and zip tie it to something so if/when the pump goes, it wouldn't puke on your opti. And then the opti: Wouldn't be a bad idea to replace it since you'll be removing it, or at least do a cap and rotor. If you do either of those, seal it up nice and tight with silicone and also tap a hole in it and run a 'vent' line up to the CAI so it works like a vented opti
Old 05-15-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Use your shop vac with a 2-3 ft. piece of 3/8" hose stuck in the vacuum nozzle to "go fishin'. Maybe you'll get lucky and suck it out...
Old 05-15-2008, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

formula350, that is a GREAT idea!!! I may start disassemblying everything this weekend.