LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Port and polish easy to do

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Port and polish easy to do

Just kind of wondering how hard is it to port an polish a throttle body and intake. I have drills at my house an stuff anybody know links to something on this or know how.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Banned

Stock intake is FINE for at least 350 RWHP, same with TB. If you modify it you will likely gain nothing and risk screwing it up.

My advice is leave it alone.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BattleShip
Stock intake is FINE for at least 350 RWHP, same with TB. If you modify it you will likely gain nothing and risk screwing it up.

My advice is leave it alone.
not exactly, you will see small gains and quicker throttle response, but i personally would pay someone to port it. there was someone on here that did it for a good price cant remember the name but try typing in throttle body porting in the search and see what comes up. and yea the intake would be fine for that sort of power but...such and easy mod why would you wait until your running 350rwhp to mod it, when you could do it now and get it out of the way and get you closer to that 350rwhp...i just dont like the fact he said youll most likely gain nothing...thats "likely" a load of bullshit.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

ported my own intake, its not hard as long as you're patient and don't become porting happy. It was my first time and the ports looked great, i wish i got pictures of them before i installed it. I just gasket matched mine, haven't done a throttle body yet
Old 05-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Banned

Lets review what was asked

Originally Posted by Kmaroman
Just kind of wondering how hard is it to port an polish a throttle body and intake. I have drills at my house an stuff anybody know links to something on this or know how.
And of course the suggested approach?

Originally Posted by lt1noob
not exactly, you will see small gains and quicker throttle response, but i personally would pay someone to port it. there was someone on here that did it for a good price cant remember the name but try typing in throttle body porting in the search and see what comes up. and yea the intake would be fine for that sort of power but...such and easy mod why would you wait until your running 350rwhp to mod it, when you could do it now and get it out of the way and get you closer to that 350rwhp...i just dont like the fact he said youll most likely gain nothing...thats "likely" a load of bullshit.
Amazing...let's see if we can find the "load of bullshit"

Ok first porting the intake is DIFFERENT than gasket matching, and I know no one could possibly think porting the intake would help a stock motor therefore, lets talk gasket matching.

We'll assume you get the intake off and on with no leaks (vacuum, oil, and fuel), and no trash fell into the motor. This is EXTREMELY easy only if you have never worked under the hood of a car.

Lets review what you will have improved when these tasks are successfuly completed.

First we will discuss the air flow after the TB. The air finds its merry way through the runners to the new gasket match at the end of the intake. GREAT less restriction to the head, the problem is now the ridge at the head is LARGER!

Do you think this will improve air flow? Ok, so to fix this problem, you can gasket match the head at the same time? Do you believe you will get all the debri and keep it from getting into your motor?

On a bench at the machine shop they will wash the head then put it in the vat. They do it because they know there will be metal in the head and eat your motor if they don't clean it.

So I suppose you could now pull the head and port the head, do a valve joband...????

Do whatever you wish at this point you should realise doing it with engine in the car is a BAD idea and as I said probably gain litle or nothing for your hard work.

Ok now lets change to a larger TB which is an easy task. They will take your stock 48 mm and bore to 52 mm for ~$150 Matt Blum is about the best guy to do it superior work and great guy.

Ok now you paid $~150 and instsalled it with no problems unless you have an A4. A larger TB and A4 means you need to change the transmission pressures in the transmissiom part of the tune. So after this what have you gained? And how much has it cost? Was it easy?

Now you go from a stock ~660 CFM TB to ~750 CFM from any auto 101 course which TB will have crisper throttle response? Next how much hp will 660 CFM flow?

Doesn't seem easy, effective, or cheap so why do it? Take the money put it toward 1.6 rr.

Good luck

Last edited by BattleShip; 05-18-2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i was trading a bare block 350 for a porfessional port and polish job on my intake and trhottle body
Old 05-19-2008, 09:33 PM
Banned

If you haven't traded I wouldn't. A block is worth more IMO
Old 05-20-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

now that i will agree with, keep the block.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:03 PM
ggk
Launching!

if it is machined then the block is worth more, but if it is just a torn down block is the port job worth the $200 core motor?
Old 05-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ggk
if it is machined then the block is worth more, but if it is just a torn down block is the port job worth the $200 core motor?
A bare block is worth more than the work.

Good luck
Old 05-21-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BattleShip
A bare block is worth more than the work.

Good luck
definately worth more, if anything sell the block and pay him lol.

Quick Reply: Port and polish easy to do