LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Weird vibe after cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 09:29 AM
10 Second Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weird vibe after cam swap

I have a vibration at about 2000 to 2400 rpms and think my damper is put back on wrong after a cam install???? I bought a car on fleabay and never did anything with it till I cut it up for a rear quarter I needed for one of my other Camaros. Long story short the guy said he put a new clutch in the car then I put a hotcam kit in it and after a couple years put the motor into a real nice HT V6 body I found. Now the car runs like a raped ape but has a vibe around 2000-2400 RPMs. Could this be from turning the flywheel and not balancing or me putting the harmonic balancer back on the hub wrong.?

Thanks for reading this long story and any input, Tom
Old 05-24-2008, 09:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The damper only goes on the hub one way and the hub is not keyed to the crank. That is not the cause though as it is all neutral balance in the front of an LT1.

The rear of the motor is external balance but I would not think turning the flywheel would affect that long as the weight was left alone.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Default vibe

The flywheel is weighted as Dwayne says....but it must be lined up so the pin on the crank lines up with the allignment hole on the flywheel. If that pin was removed from the crank the flywheel will bolt to the crank in any position.

There is also a alignment 'paint dab" on a stock flywheel and a clutch pressure plate. Those most be aligned. aftermarket or replacement flywheels do not have that paint dab.

On the attached pic you can see the "7th" hole in the flywheel where the pin goes. I have a "neutral" aka "internal" balanced motor so the pin on the crank was removed for balance purposes. You can see the "balance" pins for the flywheel in various holes on the outer edge of the flywheel the machine used to neutral balance the flywheel (after grinding off the original cast weight on the flywheel). The PP was also neutral balanced with the flywheel as a unit.

Your vibe could be for other reasons but you need to confirm your flywheel & clutch positions are correct and also confirm if you have a internal balanced motor or stock external balance motor (rear).
Attached Thumbnails Weird vibe after cam swap-clutch-inst-4-flywheel.jpg  
Old 05-24-2008, 11:40 AM
10 Second Moderator

The car the motor and trans came from was a 70,000 mile girls car, her boyfriend said he had a clutch put in. All the reciepts were in the glovebox cept for the clutch work. I believe they had a GM dealer do most of the work on the car.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Torkman15
I have a vibration at about 2000 to 2400 rpms and think
Interesting - I have the EXACT SAME vibration. I couldnt tell it was there until
I switched to a Prothane urethane tranny mount (and engine mounts).

Quick Reply: Weird vibe after cam swap