LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Started my new 355 today. Starts fine but won't idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Started my new 355 today. Starts fine but won't idle *PROB SOLVED*

So I'll try to make a long story short.
First details on the car: 355, LE2 heads LE2.2 cam LE ported intake, 42lb injectors, madz28 tune, 58mm bbk tb, pacesetter lt's, more but nothing i think thats important.

This morning i decided to start my car so after putting it back together, i got to hear it run for the first time around 5pm today.

It started up on about the 5th crank. I tried 3 cranks then stopped to prime the fuel some more. So now it will start up and jumps straight to about 3k rpms and comes down but doesn't stop at idle, it just dies. I can give it gas and it will stay running as long as i keep it above 2k rpm, if it falls below that it just dies. It doesn't really sputter or anything but almost diesels from 1k on down.

I don't quite have everything hooked up yet. i really just woke up this morning and told myself i'd start it. So I still need to hook up EVAP, PCV, alternator, and the whole cooling system. and they o2's but i decided to start it w/o them so that i didn't ruin them cause i have brand new coated long tubes.

I had a mail order from madz28 just to get it started and talked to him. he had me swap back to my stock throttle body which didn't work same problem. and he thought it might have somthing to do with resetting the valves but i don't think its related. I'll try to download datamaster to make a log and get a vid tomorrow. Also it would throw a code, but then the light would shut off when it died. Ion said it would be a idle air code but i didn't have anyway to confirm it.

So anyone have an idea of what it might be, or anything i should try tomorrow?

Last edited by Biggin'89; 05-30-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MAF hooked up? If not don't expect it to idle. You need to get it all back together. Then test it out.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:18 PM
Launching!

yep all the sensors are hooked up. just not the other stuff mostly emmision related.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:23 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Umm..put your O2's in first off.

You have a datalog? Check your TPS% and IAC counts. How is your idle screw?

Be carefull giving it gas with a **** tune, you have the potential to wash your rings.

Tony.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:07 AM
10 Second Club

Your o2's is prolly a big part of it, also the pcv hose could be giving it a vacuum leak, and with the alternator not hooked up the pcm isnt getting the correct voltage it should, it will work alright put not right up to par.

button the rest of it back up, then try.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

O2's are critical, but wouldn't that be a problem when he is warmed up and goes into closed loop? The car should run in open loop for a few mins and idle fine as the PCM will not read from the O2s till the cat is up to temp? Right? Could be a bad IAC sensor?
Old 05-30-2008, 08:13 AM
Launching!

yeah im going to put it all together today and hopefully get a datalog.

but o2's shouldn't matter b/c they aren't even plugged in so it won't go into closed loop. anyways, it started w/o any bad noises which is just what i wanted before i went any further.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Battery fully charged? I know starting takes quite a bit of power, but if it had enough to start it, might not have enough left to keep it running.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:45 AM
Launching!

yep battery is fully charged, but im going to go hook everything else up.

also i probably won't get a data log because the only version of datamasters i could find isn't compatible with vista.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:01 PM
Launching!

went and worked on it this morning.

I hooked up the evap, pcv, and put the 58mm TB on there. Then when i was looking at my old intake i saw that there was a vac line with tape on it which mean't that i was spost to hook it up and it would be used. So i did some investigating and found it was for the fuel reg.

so now she pures like a friggin' mountain lion or something, it sounds so mean!

I hope to have a vid tomorrow. But thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Started my new 355 today. Starts fine but won't idle