LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

dyno tuning.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyno tuning.

Am i gunna see any improvment? will i feel anything? looking to get the car dyno tuned right when i get it back.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bricez28
Am i gunna see any improvment? will i feel anything? looking to get the car dyno tuned right when i get it back.
The more changes you have the more they will 'find' (I am talking REAL changes cam, heads, open exhaust etc). How much will they likely find maybe 5% on NA vehicle, on boosted vehicles I have seen people gain 75 to 100 hp, but they also end up on dyno all day. Well lets say that they find 10% 35hp 0n a 350 hp setup is that worth the cost?

Personally I laugh at the number of people who do it...go to the track and find out how your car performs and adjust what you find. I tune my own so it is less important for me especially since I watched a few dyno sessions and was thoroughly UNDERwhelmed.

I am sure many wil say how they did it and love the results ask how much they gained from first pull to last the last pull and $$ it cost.

Good luck
Old 06-07-2008, 03:54 PM
12 Second Club

it all depends on your mods. with all my old mods (heads/cam) I went in and came out with 46 more hp. if i didn't have to leave to another appointment i had i could've leaned out the a/f a little more played around with the timing and left with over 50 hp more maybe more. when i get my 383 i'll make sure I go with a clear schedule to get it dialed in really well. i save a ton of money by tuning it myself. I just pay for dyno time which is $75 an hour.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Track tuning is better as a dyno does NOT accurately simulate load.

Big gains in dyno tuning should be viewed as much as the old tune being off as anything else and as said that should not happen with a NA setup. Also be aware that the perfect dyno tune is NOT the perfect track tune.ots of guys have learned that the hard way.

Mine is a mailorder tune from CAM, no track tuning beyond a little shift point playing, no dyno tuning. Put your money into a good tuner rather than using a mediocre one and paying him again to dyno tune it.

Don't get me wrong dynos can be useful they are just overly relied upon these days, of course the odder your combination the harder it will be to dail in mailorder.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

what about a loaded dyno??

Quick Reply: dyno tuning.