LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

pop through exhaust possible o2 problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pop through exhaust possible o2 problem?

i just got done replacing the head gaskets on my 94 ta.
it ran well for about 5 miles, and now i have a misfire.

it pops through the exhaust like a flat cam lobe. it does it at idle and gets worse as you give it gas.

i readjusted the valves, checked the firing order and made sure all plug wires were on the plugs. no difference. checked and sprayed all vacuum lines and all passed the test.
i then pulled the plugs and all 4 on the driver side bank were black soot fouled. so im guessing running too rich?

will a bad o2 sensor cause that bank to run rich? i have a broken ground wire on the o2. im thinking the computer is dumping too much fuel into that bank and not the other.
pass side looks like it was burning nice.

i did have cylinders 1 and 3 injector plugs backwards, and switched them around.

so with switching the injector plugs to where they need to go, adjusting the valves, and cleaning the plugs, it still has a pop through the exhaust at idle.

would a bad o2 sensor cause any of this? i never had the problem before, just after. also there is no check engine light.

or what do you guys thing?

thanks.

aaron
________
Old 06-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bowtie_Aaron
i just got done replacing the head gaskets on my 94 ta.
it ran well for about 5 miles, and now i have a misfire.

it pops through the exhaust like a flat cam lobe. it does it at idle and gets worse as you give it gas.

i readjusted the valves, checked the firing order and made sure all plug wires were on the plugs. no difference. checked and sprayed all vacuum lines and all passed the test.
i then pulled the plugs and all 4 on the driver side bank were black soot fouled. so im guessing running too rich?

will a bad o2 sensor cause that bank to run rich? i have a broken ground wire on the o2. im thinking the computer is dumping too much fuel into that bank and not the other.

Fuel mixture DEPENDS on O2's fix it!

pass side looks like it was burning nice.

i did have cylinders 1 and 3 injector plugs backwards, and switched them around.

so with switching the injector plugs to where they need to go, adjusting the valves, and cleaning the plugs, it still has a pop through the exhaust at idle.

would a bad o2 sensor cause any of this? i never had the problem before, just after. also there is no check engine light.

or what do you guys thing?

thanks.

aaron
________
ALWAYS fix known problems! Write what happens when you have the O2 wired properly! It has to be fixed and no one can change that fact!
Old 06-08-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

not to sound dumb but what does running rich or lean really mean and how can you identify what it's doing
Old 06-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Banned

Ok this will be backward to what most think...ecm sees things different than most think it does. Example

ECM looks at O2 if cylinder fires there is low oxygen in the exhaust tube...when it misfires the exhaust tube has HIGH oxygen. High oxygen to the ecm means LEAN. The O2 READS oxygen and the ecm does not track mifires. If the ecm checked current draw it could see hey the plug didnt draw current therefore this lean condition is because plug misfired.

So because the ecm does not know it was a a misfire it adds fuel because it saw the miss as a lean condition that it must 'fix'..this why open exhaust cause a rich condition O2 reads 'more' oxygen ecm says uh oh add fuel..

The result is you start car you cry from it being rich, what often is cause is a plug is fouled and others on that bank are fine but

the ecm says uh oh that bank is lean adds fuel...this is not something easy to explain and have someone understand. If you are interested you must read about how the ecm works and the purpose and impact of sensor readings.

This was a quick dummied up explantation there are many great reads on line

Good luck

Quick Reply: pop through exhaust possible o2 problem?