LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 in a 56 Chevy

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 in a 56 Chevy

Im installing a LT1 with a 4L60 in my 56 Chevy. Im using the stock harness and computer, and I'm leaving everything stock as it came out of a 95 Trans Am. Can I use standard 350 side mounts? Any major pitfalls I need to look out for? Ive done this kind of thing many times, but this is my first time with computer controlled equiptment. thanks.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:57 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there was a guy at a carshow this weekend with an LT1 powered '55 chev. Nice setup! The car was MEAN! That being said, I didn't have a peek at the motor mounts, so I can't help you there. I can tell you that a weak-point of the LT1 is the Optispark. Keep it dry when topping up coolant, as due to it's location, it's succeptable to moisture, and premature failure.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a 4L60E to be exact, since it's 94 or newer. Anyways, unimportant since we know you mean a 4L60E and no 700R4.

Mounts are the same and as stated, the Opti is the 'pitfall'. If you get a nice new Delco cap, tap a hole in it that's not going to effect electrical or anything else, and put in a plastic (important to be plastic) barb fitting then glue it in. That now make it essentially a vented opti, and what you do then is run a vacuum line up to your intake elbow and tap a barb spot there too Of it it's the stock rubber, then... find a way? >_>

If you don't want to do that, I'd tap out the water pump's weep hole and put a small barb fitting in it, and run that down, past the Opti, to the ground. So IF the pump goes, it doesn't **** on your liquid sensitive Opti.

A nice mod to do is run LS style Coil Per Cylinder and mount them on your valve covers
...with that said...
Also, LT4 (black composite, corvette primarily) valve covers look reaaaaaally nice on our motors and with those coil packs I'd think would look very slick with some red plug wires.

Quick Reply: LT1 in a 56 Chevy