LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

low oil pressure, smoke out of valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 10:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question low oil pressure, smoke out of valve covers

hey guys... ive been workin on a friends LT1 SS and got a new LT4 crate engine from GM. We got everything straitened out on it today, and went to drive it around and only had 20psi oil pressure. when we stopped i went to look under the hood and had burnt oil smoke coming from under the valve covers.

It also looked like there was no oil on the top end of the engine through the oil fill cap. i will take off the valve covers to check it, but it didnt look like there was oil flow up there.

when i went to prime the oil pump during the build, the mass of the oil only came out of the oil galley right at the cam... and nothing came out of the top of the engine. so is it possible that a oil galley plug is not installed not forcing the oil to the top of the engine? TIA
Old 06-20-2008, 11:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your pcv lines for the smoke out of the valve covers and as far as not getting oil to the top end did you use the lifters that came with the engine or what?
Old 06-20-2008, 11:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ya we used everything that came with the engine, just swapped the cam, pushrods, and springs