LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Hoping to get a loan soon

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hoping to get a loan soon

So ill probably be getting a loan for my car soon to upgrade and fix current problems. Im hoping to get around 10 grand. The car is my daily driver so I wont need anything insane just basic stuff. I do need to fix my a/c and I want to get the motor rebuilt and i want to do a six speed swap. What do you guys recommend buying after all that to give me a pretty decent street car. I have been quoted just under 4k to get the motor rebuilt by a performance shop here in az. Also 1k to swap my auto for the six speed not including the cost of a six speed. so there is 6 grand right there. So what would you guys do with the extra 4 grand. Keep in mind this is my only car and i need it to be reliable as it can be. It only sees the track maybe twice a year and hardly any street racing either az is pretty rough on that now. thanks for the advice everyone.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:35 PM
12 Second Club

Robbie haha im gunna first say i dont want you to do anything cause your car might possibly get faster than mine (and that can't happen!) but for real .....
.....with 4 grand. . . well since you will be changing to a 6 speed and our rear ends are fairly weak i would look into also getting a new rear with either 3.73 or 4.11's. that way you can throw some sticky tires on that biotch and not worry about hurting the rear. that should set you back about $2500 or so depending, then with that last $1500 i would go and do all the bolt on's you possibly could. and if money allowed a cam swap, nothing too big, but just a little better than the stocker.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

I might just hold off on the engine rebuild cause the car only has 103k miles on it. I may just have it all looked at and fix any problems and get a good tune up. But definitely the six speed swap. If do decide to just not rebuild the motor i want to get the car re painted and chage the color to red. I have a buddy who works at a body shop who will do the color change for like 1800 dollars.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

ha thanks ben, yeah the deal with the ss didn't work out they didn't want to give me a good deal so **** em lol anyway im gonna go another way and get myself a nice personal loan to fix up the z. She is startin to overheat almost everyday now so i need to get one credit card paid off fast and then im gonna be able to get this loan i hope to just fix all my **** and the car should be pretty reliable for a long time.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:53 PM
12 Second Club

what are your current mods?

get a new 12 bolt or 9" rear end and stick with the auto get it rebuilt and buy a converter. if you start upgrading the heads, cam, using nitrous, etc... there's a real good chance you're going to blow your tranny or rear soon after. you'd be hating life having a 10k load and in need of a rear of trans. spend your money bulletproofing everything just my .02
Old 06-24-2008, 01:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by EliteCamaro94
ha thanks ben, yeah the deal with the ss didn't work out they didn't want to give me a good deal so **** em lol anyway im gonna go another way and get myself a nice personal loan to fix up the z. She is startin to overheat almost everyday now so i need to get one credit card paid off fast and then im gonna be able to get this loan i hope to just fix all my **** and the car should be pretty reliable for a long time.
damn over heating? you have any idea what it is? checked the thermostat, fans coming on, radiator leaking?

and 10g's will make that Z a rocketship man really. i wish i could throw 10g's at my car (shocks. . . pegs. . . ) lucky!
Old 06-24-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by C_Rules
what are your current mods?

get a new 12 bolt or 9" rear end and stick with the auto get it rebuilt and buy a converter. if you start upgrading the heads, cam, using nitrous, etc... there's a real good chance you're going to blow your tranny or rear soon after. you'd be hating life having a 10k load and in need of a rear of trans. spend your money bulletproofing everything just my .02
the car is currently bone stock but like i said im not gonna do any internal work never going to run nitrous i might do a small cam but other than that i was just thinking bolt ons. Also the car is hardly ever run hard other than some spirited freeway driving or to get up to speed quickly. The rear has been gone through and all parts were replaced about a year ago i had bad bearings and such. Anyway thanks for the advice ill look into a rear but i have talked to some tranny shops and they have said that daily driving a stalled auto is pretty useless considering i wont be launching it at every light lol. I want the six speed for the increased fuel economy and the fun factor of rowing through the gears.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would take the 10 grand from the loan and buy a nice used GTO. Get out of the LT1 man and get something more dependable if it's a daily driver. The GTO is 1 million times more of a car then the lt1's. I'm an lt1 man myself, but with 10 grand I would put it down on a GTO.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
damn over heating? you have any idea what it is? checked the thermostat, fans coming on, radiator leaking?

and 10g's will make that Z a rocketship man really. i wish i could throw 10g's at my car (shocks. . . pegs. . . ) lucky!

I have no idea ben i think my fans may not be turning on, the car is fine on the freeway and stuff but once i get caught at a light it heats up almost to the red line on the temp gauge and then it takes about three to four miles to cool down to about half way. IF i get stuck for too long and when i get home i got water on the ground. I am hoping i can get this money soon so i can upgrade the radiator and get the fans tuned like you were telling me to and probably get some new fans as well.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

You're doing it wrong. No way no how in hell should you take out a loan to "upgrade" or fix your car. Seriously, think this through before you do something like that. Very easy to end upside down in payments that could leave you kicking yourself in the ***.
Don't ever borrow money you don't have to modify a car! Especially your daily driver!
Old 06-24-2008, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

Why not? I want to keep the car forever, gas prices dont bother me and i love camaro's i have my 94 and a 79. I though about getting a goat but i just want to keep my z and fix it up. I just asked what some good mods would be for this amount of money.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

I had the car up for sale all over the place on this forum and craigslist and i never had one bite on it because i still owe around 3600 bucks on it. So i look at it like this im stuck in the car. I like the look of this body style car more than the ls1 camaro so why not fix it up and make it how i want it and then keep it. Nobody wants an lt1 camaro cause of gas prices and the want for an ls1. Nobody wants an auto car either so I basically have a car nobody wants. Plus my color is definitely not a selling point hardly anyone even has this color car they only made like 4k in 94 and that was the only year they made it. So I say why not re paint the car red fix the small issues and mod it a little bit so i can get in it and drive to work everyday and on cruises and enjoy it like i want to.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:38 PM
12 Second Club

I had the car up for sale all over the place on this forum and craigslist and i never had one bite on it because i still owe around 3600 bucks on it. So i look at it like this im stuck in the car. I like the look of this body style car more than the ls1 camaro so why not fix it up and make it how i want it and then keep it. Nobody wants an lt1 camaro cause of gas prices and the want for an ls1. Nobody wants an auto car either so I basically have a car nobody wants. Plus my color is definitely not a selling point hardly anyone even has this color car they only made like 4k in 94 and that was the only year they made it. So I say why not re paint the car red fix the small issues and mod it a little bit so i can get in it and drive to work everyday and on cruises and enjoy it like i want to.
i agree with you man. i took out loans like 4-5 times now to fix my daily drivers and slightly modify them, hasnt back fired on me yet! and ive paid all the loans off. once you get something you are completely happy with and that is reliable you wont mind paying the extra money each month to have a nice ride( considering your car is already pretty nice ) that is decently fast as well.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

thanks man im glad someone agrees with me. Thanks for the compliment on the car as well i appreciate it. And you found out that she gets up and goes pretty good on the freeway lol. Anyway anyone with some info on good mods to throw onto my 94 lt1 z28 please let me know.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
and 10g's will make that Z a rocketship man really.
nah, not really.

honestly Elite, I think you are about to make a mistake. you still owe $3600 on your car and you are wanting to dump $10,000 into it? so $13,600 is what you will be paying back? $13,600 / 36 months with NO interest is going to be $377.78 per month. WITH NO INTEREST.

so you want what again? this is what I got from reading your post:
1 & 2. rebuild the motor (maybe, since it's only got 103k on it)
....... fix overheating issue (head gasket could justify a rebuild)
3. transmission swap (surely you wont put a used transmission in your car)
4. rear end
5. paint job

here are my responses to each:
1 & 2. why? 103k AINT ****! if you have blown a head gasket would be the only reason to rebuild right now.
3. I can understand people wanting to row gears, thats understandable. but i would never swap transmissions to row gears.
4. If you stay auto you will be ok.
5. Paint job would be the only thing i could agree with taking a loan out for, but only if was a good *** paint job not maaco.

my point is, do what you want, but make educated decisions.

and think about this, what if something terrible were to happen to you and/or your car. and you can't work and you are stuck with a debt that you can not sell your car and get anywhere near enough money to pay it off. people take out loans for cars and motorcycles and **** because if they need to they can turn around and sell it and get money to pay back the loan.

Last edited by LT1MAN; 06-24-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:09 PM
12 Second Club

the car is currently bone stock but like i said im not gonna do any internal work never going to run nitrous i might do a small cam but other than that i was just thinking bolt ons. Also the car is hardly ever run hard other than some spirited freeway driving or to get up to speed quickly. The rear has been gone through and all parts were replaced about a year ago i had bad bearings and such. Anyway thanks for the advice ill look into a rear but i have talked to some tranny shops and they have said that daily driving a stalled auto is pretty useless considering i wont be launching it at every light lol. I want the six speed for the increased fuel economy and the fun factor of rowing through the gears.

if you're not racing the thing and you want good gas mileage 10k is a big loan for some bolt ons. you might not need that much $ or might want to do spend some $ appearance mods.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:27 PM
12 Second Club

so say you stayed with the auto, you could get a nice stall and tranny cooler installed for just under a grand. new rear end with sticky tires maybe 2500-3500 depends on brand, then you still have a decent amount of money to do bolt on's and a cam, and a little head and intake port matching and you are still well below 10 grand.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Resident

I totally understand whay your saying about the tranny swap, but like i said its a want type of thing so im definitely gonna do that and i have a tranny shop with a 15k mile six speed he is holding for me until i get the money i have been using his services for a long time so he is holding it for me for 800 bucks. The paint job will be done at a dealership that my buddy works at and he has quoted me at just about 1800 bucks. I do want to get wheels and tires and also some shocks and springs. I highly doubt i have a blown head gasket i just think the fans are not turning on or i may have air in the system it just started the last couple weeks. I appreciate everyone's opinions on the situation.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no bites at 3600?

take $1000 loan, pay principle down more and sell car for $2600

then take remaining $9000 and purchase REALLY WELL built LT1 car off of these forums or something.

I mean if you are truly gonna get 10g's more in debt, you might as well, pay off the $3600 somehow and have a car that has been built stronger than the 10g's could get you in the first place.

$9000 get you this
https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicles-sale-non-lsx-powered/925662-94-formula-firebird-supercharged-383-lt4-6-speed-9k.html

granted it's not a camaro, but you know what I mean.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

yeah that's true but i am one of those guys that can't get rid of my car that's why i still have my moms old 79 sittin in the carport. I guess both cars have kinda grown on me and i have memories in them. Sorry for getting soap opera on ya there lol. anyway im keepin this car and gonna fix it up and enjoy it who knows maybe i wont need ten grand maybe ill pay off the car loan with the ten grand and then only have the one loan payment we will see how it goes.