LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

cam decision

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam decision

i can't decide on a cam i am going to be running a 383 stroker with LT headers, M6, CAI, stock heads but i am going to have them at least port macked to the intake/exhaust and maby a little bit of extra grinding and i may depending on cost get a tad bit bigger valves,for the cam i was looking at comp cams for a cam that will make the car sound cammed and it only needs to go to stock redline 5,800 thats all i will go to after what happened last time.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You seem to think ported stock heads is a compromise. A good argument can be made that they are the right choice depending on the quality of the port work. Heads and cam make power, shortblock just has to stand up to it and displacement affects the rpm at which that power is made.

Point being, don't take shortcuts on the topend. Stock heads are a great start in the right hands and let the guy who does them help pick the cam. NOT because it has to be magically matched but because then he is taking responsibility for helping you get the most out of this.
I knwo everyone else says you have to get heads flowed and cams matched and such but guys with LT1 experiance have a good idea of what a ported set of LT1 heads does and they don't really need all that extra data.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well my grandpa builds motors and use to have all the stuff to do this he showed me a stock 350 head flowing better than race heads witch is why i am not too woried about stock heads not flowing because i know they can. i just don't want to do a ton of porting to the heads i just wan;t a smooth flowing stock head just by port maching the heads should give better flow for now i am planing on maby doing aftermarket heads later on. the cam deal is i am just looking for somthing that will perform up till 5,800 just to give it some go. i don't know if any one had any sugestions on a gook medium sized cam.