LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Dynaspark?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynaspark?????

hello,

i have a couple questions and need your input....

I know that everyone says to upgrade to the vented optispark unit if you have the non-vented. I also hear that dynaspark is a REALLY good piece..Do you think if i were to get the Dynaspark non-vented model and be done with it ....Or do u still recommend to upgrade to the vented Opti... If i were to upgrade to the vented opti, if it were possible to maybe have the dowel pin in my gm847 cam replaced w/ a longer one(since i shaved it down)? I would hate to have to get a new cam...and all needed parts to upgrade to a vented unit, because its to much $$$

but whatever is needed i will do...but is the non-vented opti that BAD???

Thank you
Old 09-05-2008, 08:49 AM
11 Second Club

I'm pretty sure all Dynasparks are vented. I originally bought mine for my '93 Formula but when that got totalled I just put it in the '94 Formula I have now. I'm pretty sure the reason there are 2 models of the Dynaspark is because of how it connects to the cam (dowel pin or that 3 leaf clover type thing)
Old 09-05-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah as far as I know all their versions are vented now, just like the MSD.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

looks like i will be getting a dynaspark

thankyou
Old 09-05-2008, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dynaspark is an amazing peice and yes all their untis are vented....you wouldnt want to go with a non vented opti anyways...there is a reason they started venting them so obviously its a better unit...see if you get moisture in your non vented your pretty much done for....just look foward to buying a new if that happens....there are other reasons too but all in all anyone should do the vented swap
Old 09-05-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I'll be doing, if I ever need to do my opti (knocking on wood), is I'll be venting it myself with just a barb fitting drilled into somewhere on the opti (someone else did it here) and then sealing it up via RTV. Then just running the vacuum line into the air induction plumbing like factory. And of course, an AC Delco. That'll save me the money forked out for an aftermarket, and basically give me the same thing.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

The only reason to go with a vented opti over a nonvented one, with the vented cap is the ability to run sbc timing sets if you have an ewater pump.
Hope that makes sense.
Kory
Old 09-05-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm just putting this out there but I had nothing but bad experience with the people at Dynaspark. About this time last year I was debating between the Dynaspark and the MSD opti. I was leaning towards the Dynaspark because I have heard nothing but good things about them and so I wanted what was tried and true. The MSD was still new at the time. Anyway when I would call Dynaspark I would leave messages and they would never call me back, when they did answer they would throw me on hold, and the last straw was when they told me the Dynaspark was gonna be MONTHS before they shipped out! I needed my car fast and could not wait months for one piece. And the reason they would take so long is because they were re-designing the piece which I didn't understand because why fix something that has been working for so many years for them? Needless to say I got the MSD.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got me an MSD too, wont be buying anything but the MSD for my modded cars or AC Delco for my stock cars (If I EVER keep any of them stock...)
Old 09-05-2008, 09:02 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am with porksoda...what a waste of f'n money!

Quick Reply: Dynaspark?????